Best Areas In GA (Near ATL) To Buy and Hold

52 Replies

Promotion
Innago
Property Management Software
Manage Your Rentals Better For Free. Save Time & Money.
Easily Collect Rent, Screen Tenants, Sign Leases, List Properties, Manage Work Orders, & Much More!
100% Free Try It Now
@Holly Saxby , what elementary, middle, and high school is current primary residence at? What middle school and elementary school will you be redistricting to? I would be able to better assist once I get this information.

thanks

Originally posted by @Holly Saxby:

I live in a school district that is in the top tier ..past blue ribbon winner, etc. but we just got redisricted to newly built elementary and middle schools for next yr.  I would guess the elem. will be a Title 1 school with mostly hispanics in demographics.  I have 2 questions.  1) How will a Title 1 school effect the rental ability?  That is where a pocket of 100k houses are located.  2)  Does close proximity to the schools increase rental value/demand? (<1/2 mi. away)

@Holly Saxby,

I wouldn't worry too much about the value of your home as it is still in the South Forsyth HS cluster which is a top ten high school in the state of Georgia. I don't think elementary school matters so much compared to the middle school that feeds into the high school.

For Example: Vickery Creek Elementary, Vickery Creek Middle, and West Forsyth is a solid investment. Midway Elementary, Vickery Creek Middle, and West Forsyth are pretty much the same caliber of investments in my opinion. Now, if you are at the border of South Forsyth High and Central Forsyth High and your primary is rezoned for Central Forsyth High, I would be very concerned as your rental values will immediately drop by $200/month as well the demand for your property.

Hope this helps.

@dave felts,

Hi Dave,

I'm an experienced realtor and rehabber in  S. Fl.   I'd like to ask you about the areas you mentioned are they also good for fix and flips or strictly buy & holds?  My partner and I currently rehab 2-4 properties every quarter locally. We would like to venture into that market very soon.  What would you say the average profit ranges are for middle class neighborhoods. . 

Originally posted by @Lamar Tisdale :

@dave felts,

Hi Dave,

I'm an experienced realtor and rehabber in  S. Fl.   I'd like to ask you about the areas you mentioned are they also good for fix and flips or strictly buy & holds?  My partner and I currently rehab 2-4 properties every quarter locally. We would like to venture into that market very soon.  What would you say the average profit ranges are for middle class neighborhoods. . 

I am interested in seeing Dave's answer to this question as well. You and I seem to have similar goals.

@Chris Missling

I would definitely like to connect with you as well and get your input into the Atlanta market once we decide to make that leap which will be very very soon.  Were you previously with one of the large institutional investors?  Rha2 or SRP?

@yasmine bisumber

They say great minds think alike.  :)

Remember rehabbing ain't  no joke. It takes patience, planning, knowing your numbers to the T and MONEYYY to withstand the bumps, bruises, surprises and shadiness. If you can make it through it could pay off big time but every deal won't be a homerun. Slow & Steady wins the race.

There have been some excellent areas discussed on here, but excellent areas to live in usually don't equate to excellent areas to invest in, especially in Atlanta where there is not a large dichotomy in rent between A and B areas.   You'll probably be paying $30-50K more for the A area houses whereas your rent will only be $100-250 higher.  

If you are not worried about cash flow then that is probably now a problem.  But whether they'll admit it or not most investors are worried to some extent about cash flow.  

My houses in Henry, Douglas, and eastern Gwinnett (Lawrenceville) do better in cash flow terms than my houses in northern Gwinnett (Sugar Hill, Suwanee, Buford), which do better appreciation wise.   Still, I'm much more comfortable investing in houses that cash flow better.     

I'm about to purchase my 3rd home. Have one in Suwanee, one in Buford, and looking for another in Sugar Hill, Buford, Suwanee areas. They cash flow well, but better yet, tenets stay a LONG time. We're going on 5 years with one tenet and 3 years with another.

Originally posted by @Kent Julian :

I'm about to purchase my 3rd home. Have one in Suwanee, one in Buford, and looking for another in Sugar Hill, Buford, Suwanee areas. They cash flow well, but better yet, tenets stay a LONG time. We're going on 5 years with one tenet and 3 years with another.

In real estate cycle terms those houses were bought eons ago.   I'm curious if you are finding anything in those three areas that meet the 1% rule?  

Originally posted by @Kent Julian :

How did you find and filter your tenets? 

Originally posted by @Cal C. :

My houses in Henry, Douglas, and eastern Gwinnett (Lawrenceville) do better in cash flow terms than my houses in northern Gwinnett (Sugar Hill, Suwanee, Buford), which do better appreciation wise.   Still, I'm much more comfortable investing in houses that cash flow better.     

I think I am on the same page as far as cash flow, I am more about cash flow than I am appreciation. I feel like over the long haul (30+ years) appreciation happens. For me the Cash flow is more important. I will look into Henry, Douglas and eastern Gwinnett. Do you have cut off streets that help you differentiate between eastern and western Gwinnett. If you don't mid sharing, what kind of returns are you getting in those areas? What types of homes do you own? 

Originally posted by @Cal C. :
Originally posted by @Kent Julian:

In real estate cycle terms those houses were bought eons ago.   I'm curious if you are finding anything in those three areas that meet the 1% rule?  

It's close to the 1% rule. For instance, most recent purchase was $140k and the rent is $1,310. But my strategy is different than others. I put at least 50% down so they cash flow instantly. I'm also buying in solid neighborhoods with the best schools. I'm definitely a buy and hold for years kind of guy. I own my own business and love the work I do, so I'm not looking to be a full-time real estate investor. For me, it's about taking profit from my full-time business and creating tons of passive cash flow with that profit.

Originally posted by @Yasmine Bisumber :
Originally posted by @Kent Julian:

I use a great property management company. Takes away all the headaches and saves money in the long run. My homes have never been empty for more than 7 days.

If you don't mind me asking, what company do you use for your properties in GA? I would love to reach out to them. 

Platinum Property Management. They're great!

@Kent Julian

Thank you for sharing the management company you use.  I've heard horror stories about poor management and I feel better contacting and working with someone who comes recommended.  Thanks again!