What's your non-real estate side hustle these days?

202 Replies

Originally posted by @Peter Eberhardt :

Uber, that funds 70% of my down payments for buy and holds. It’s up and down but an extra $40-$60k a year just doing it on the side on top of my regular 9-5 isn’t bad at all

People love to hate on Uber driving like it's some terrible job... Now I've never driven Uber, but all I know is I pay $50 for a 25 minute trip to the airport these days. And don't the drivers keep 85% plus tip?

If you do real estate correctly there is no need for a side hustle. A w-2 job is a side hustle but a temporary one while you get your real estate empire built.  Real estate has created more generational wealth than anything in American history.  A side hustle would just be a distraction. 

Originally posted by @Josh Caldwell :

If you do real estate correctly there is no need for a side hustle. A w-2 job is a side hustle but a temporary one while you get your real estate empire built.  Real estate has created more generational wealth than anything in American history.  A side hustle would just be a distraction. 

Josh I like your post and voted for it:). In you’re title it says your a lender. Is this your main hustle or is this a side hustle?

Josh I like your post and voted for it so please don’t think I’m saying otherwise. In you’re title it says your a lender. Is this your main hustle or is this a side hustle?

Good question Joe. I am a lot of things, and I make money a lot of ways within my real estate business. One just sort of flows into the other. I am a flipper, wholesaler, landlord, mentor, lender, and I run a REIA club. I am also a public speaker, author, sometimes radio show host, and if I was better looking I would have a TV show (been interviewed 6 times) All of those things fall under my real estate umbrella.

Originally posted by @Patrick Philip :
Originally posted by @Peter Eberhardt:

Uber, that funds 70% of my down payments for buy and holds. It’s up and down but an extra $40-$60k a year just doing it on the side on top of my regular 9-5 isn’t bad at all

People love to hate on Uber driving like it's some terrible job... Now I've never driven Uber, but all I know is I pay $50 for a 25 minute trip to the airport these days. And don't the drivers keep 85% plus tip?

Back in the OG days when I started, it was we kept 80% plus 100% tip across the board, with the ability to earn back that remaining 20% for all rides. Then it went down to 75% but the OGs were grandfathered in at the 80%. Then a couple years ago every driver started complaining and the fare percentage we keep is all over the place now. Sometimes we don't even get 50%. However, I have always made the profit hourly, I have always made the numbers work for me by always being flexible on my driving strategy,  and I haven't once complained about any business scheme the rideshare giants have pulled in the 8 years I have been driving. 

It is also interesting to see a entirely new industry grow and try many different ways to make the business work! But I will be forever grateful the opportunity to be a rideshare driver! My bigger pockets thank me too.   

I'm sort of into everything. I tell people, If I don't know how to do it, I'll either figure it out, or will find someone and learn from them while they do it. My actual paid professions are Audio Design Engineer and Musician. 

Outside of that, painting, moving, drywall, framing, chauffeur, you name it. I consider it a blessing to be able to help. Get so much more than money being a jack of all trades.

@Keith A. Opened up a hard apple cider bar 20 minutes south of Atlanta GA back in 2018. Actually a RE hack. Me and a partner purchased 2 buildings back in 2015 that already were rented out, pushed one of the tenants forward 1000sqft, put up a wall and moved in! Took 3 years to complete the work and obtain licensing, but the tasting room is open every Friday and we also have distribution throughout GA.

@Jonathan Hulen

Am also checking on Turo around my market here in CT. I highly recommend you to go online to TURO.COM on your area and take a look at what kind of cars are renting and for how much. The Slingshots are very HOT Rentals around here and I see they go for a lot of money/day rental.

I am not sure if I would invest on a bike/vehicle like that. Although PICK up trucks in my area I couldn’t find, the closest was about 25 miles away and the ones I did find they have a high Rentals demand.

Putting my own hybrid car on in a week or so and than I will look into perhaps buy a semi used truck just for that. As Car Rentals are in shortage now is a good time to try.

Good luck 👍🏻

@Beau Watson

I will be putting my hybrid in few weeks as well, and did a little market research around here couldn’t find a truck. If everything goes well and might invest in a truck since I do have access to wholesale price through my family business and give it a ago.

Thank you for sharing you experience/gains with us so we can have some idea of.

@Beau Watson

I will

I have a 2013 Lexus CT200h

Originally purchased because I used to drive a lot doing property rentals up in Hartford county. Now I live close to NYC/Greenwich/Stamford area and have the car free for many days I will put on TURO.

I will give you an update as far as rentability/profit once I have some.

Thank you 🙏

Originally posted by @Elisiane Da Silva-Taylor :

@Peter Eberhardt

That’s amazing !

Do you do Uber Drive

Or Uber Eats?

How many hours are up able to put in per week if you don’t mind me asking ?

Thank you so much

It varies of course, sometimes 4 hours a week sometimes 50 hours a week. No food delivery, just driving (expect when Covid first hit and of course everyone was ordering breakfast, lunch, dinner, and all the snacks in between!)  Before Covid it was reasonable to hit $30/hr average, since Covid its up to about $50/hr. I expect it to go back down to $25-30 hr once more drivers get back on the road. Also every market is extremely different and I have only driven in Bakersfield, San Diego, and LA markets.