Mike Meerschaert
  • Portland, Or
Votes |
Book recommendations for Non-multifamily CRE investing

Mike Meerschaert
  • Portland, Or
Posted Jan 23 2021, 10:10

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has some good book recommendations for non-multifamily commercial real estate investing. 

I live in Portland, Oregon and I currently just own one duplex as a house hack, but my 3 year goal is to get into commercial properties. I've read Bryan Murray's Crushing it in Commercial Real Estate and Ken McElroy's The ABCs of Real Estate Investing, and while these books have some amazing advice on Commercial financing that I think can be carried over to other asset classes, the rest of the operations advice is for Multifamily investing.

I am starting with small multifamily investments to start building wealth, since I really don't have much capital beyond what I can put away with my day job, but I really want to focus on Non-multifamily investments in the long term. My primary concern is the fact that I'm investing in the Pacific Northwest which is somewhat hostile toward landlords and makes it difficult to do business, meaning there is a high level of regulatory risk in my region.

I'm not sure exactly what asset class to focus on, I just heard the BP Podcast #416 with Matt Onofrio which got me really intrigued about industrial warehouses, and I've also watched a couple of youtubers who have had success with Self-storage, but I'm really just looking for books that others have found helpful for getting started in any non-multifamily CRE asset classes.

I was really inspired by Matt's story and would like to start learning more about warehouse investing, I'm in Portland and we have an Ocean connected port, River barges, intercontinental railroad connections, an International airport and of course a large interstate highway intersection, so that sounds like a good place to start, but I don't know the first thing about this asset class.

I get the things to be aware of for multifamily investing to forecast income and expenses and evaluate a deal, but I have a feeling Industrial is a whole different ball game, and I'm looking for resources to get started.

Thanks,

-Mike

Loading replies...