Votes |
Timeframe Expectations For Ground Up Construction In Kapolei

Matthew Bernal
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Posted Feb 15 2023, 10:27

Aloha, fellow investors! 

A colleague and I are doing our due diligence and strategic prep for a ground-up project in Kapolei. The project will be both horizontal and vertical. How much time should we expect to get entitled and permitted? A year? Two? 

Our current expectation is 24 months: 12 to get approved and permitted and 12 to build. Thoughts? 

Pryceless Ventures, LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 16 2023, 07:17

Id ask your local GC. This is such a specific question esp on an island

User Stats

Votes
Hal Wilkerson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oahu Hawaii
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oahu Hawaii
Replied Feb 22 2023, 14:57

Hi there Matthew, it depends where and what you are doing.  Campbell Estates dba 'City of Kapolei' has total control over the 'core' of Kapolei, and would be a great place to start for due dilligence.  DPP is easily the largest headwind, but there would be quite a bit of prep work in advance before even getting to DPP.  Depending on your resources, 24 months is a bit optimistic.  PM me, I'd love to chat about it and provide my insights.  I'm the president of the Mehana community  which is located here in the core of Kapolei, and have several strategic relationships with Campbell Estates if that may be helpful.  Would be glad to give you some insights with some more specifics.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 22 2023, 16:23
i always like to pull the jurisdiction's hearing examiner files for applications and approvals.

it can give you an excellent idea of timelines, requirements, common issues, community pushback, variances and vesting, development credits, etc...

you can make a public records request for these files going back a few years, and settle in for a night's reading - these are often very interesting.... no part of these records are exempt from disclosure, btw.

all the best!

User Stats

Votes
Joel Bongco
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Mililani, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Mililani, HI
Replied Mar 7 2023, 21:29

@Matthew Bernal - Your timeframe is fine. Make sure that you are not in a slide area, flood zone or SMA area (lots of drama with DPP here). Are you planning on a ADU as well? Are you starting with a clean slate, or do you still need to demo? I recommend that you hire a licensed architect/engineer over cutting costs with a draftsperson and a plan reviewer, The comments back from DPP if you don't have an architect that is familiar with the DPP requirements. If you need assistance, please PM me. Mahalo! Joel