Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Sean Hayes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, GA
Votes |
I have a Gas station on the same plat as my MHP. Best way to sell?

Sean Hayes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, GA
Posted Feb 23 2023, 06:15

Hello, 

I own a MHP in Georgia that came with a working gas station when I bought it. We are currently redeveloping the MHP into an rv park but have no interest in the gas station but still need the land/plat it sits on to be in compliance with the county regs for an Rv park. Looking for the best way to sell the building and business but not the land it sits on. 

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez
Pro Member
#2 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 23 2023, 06:24

Hey @Sean Hayes

Maybe you can do a lot line adjustment to subdivide the property, I would get in contact with the zoning department to make sure that's possible. That would allow you to sell the gas station parcel separately while keeping the land you need for the RV park. 

Hope this helps, 

David

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 24 2023, 12:01

Replat, but i doubt they will approve it if the gas station is non conforming

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Marc V.
Votes |

You can look into a ground lease for that part of your property, determine the term that works for you. 

Laws are state dependent, and can get complex. So make sure you find a good real estate attorney to consult with. 

Hope that helps!

User Stats

Votes
Eddie LeGrand-Sawyer
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 7 2023, 23:03
Quote from @Sean Hayes:

Hello, 

I own a MHP in Georgia that came with a working gas station when I bought it. We are currently redeveloping the MHP into an rv park but have no interest in the gas station but still need the land/plat it sits on to be in compliance with the county regs for an Rv park. Looking for the best way to sell the building and business but not the land it sits on. 

The easiest way is to review zoning for approved/special commercial uses for the building. A business in that use category would lease it. Since it was a gas station, a convenience store/restaurant/lodge for the rv park might be approved.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Widder
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Mar 8 2023, 14:34

A land lease is a good option. They pay X per month to have the gas station on the dirt.

Talk to county if you can subdivide the lot. 

They likely won't spot zone it, but maybe the current or future zoning allows the use. 

Would it be more profitable to raze the gas station and add more pads for the RV park? 

Gas stations aren't super profitable, they make their money through everything but the gas, so long as you have the store front option for your RV customers, it could be a win. 

Find out who the local brokers are that represent the large gas station firms near you and get their take. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Hayes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, GA
Replied May 31 2023, 13:21
Quote from @Adam Widder:

A land lease is a good option. They pay X per month to have the gas station on the dirt.

Talk to county if you can subdivide the lot. 

They likely won't spot zone it, but maybe the current or future zoning allows the use. 

Would it be more profitable to raze the gas station and add more pads for the RV park? 

Gas stations aren't super profitable, they make their money through everything but the gas, so long as you have the store front option for your RV customers, it could be a win. 

Find out who the local brokers are that represent the large gas station firms near you and get their take. 

DELAYED RESPONSER. But thank you. That is the most likely course of action here.