• Financial Advisor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
Finding/Keeping 'The Right' Commercial Tenants

Paul Allen
  • Financial Advisor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Posted May 26 2017, 05:51

In Oct 2015 I leased a single office in an office suite (4 offices and a waiting room). I was sub-leasing from the gentleman who was leasing the suite. In March 2016 (middle of tax season for me) he announced he was moving his business to Florida. Building owner told me I could pick up the lease on the whole suite or vacate. I picked up the lease on the whole suite. (for 3 years)

I've held the other 3 offices in the suite out for sub-letting for more than a year. I am running at just under 50% occupancy rate. I advertise on Craigslist, and my eyeball comparison of the other offices available in my area tells me the rent I am asking is under FMV. Yet I get very few inquiries.

I'm not trying to turn a profit on this, I just want to offset my leasing cost.  I don't need the whole suite. It's a professional office building Class B/B+. Good location. Lots of parking. Not suitable for massage parlor, tattoo artists, or band recording studio. Perfect for a professional who needs a quiet place to work and/or see clients.

How do I find that target demographic?

Loading replies...