Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Chapman
Votes |
Considering out of state investing

Posted Mar 1 2023, 14:40

I live close to Washington, DC and I currently invest in Baltimore Md. Not a landlord friendly market and prices gotten to  high to cash flow. 

I want to buy multifamily (preferably 4units), in a landlord friendly city, with good cash flow for long term rental.

Want less than 2 hour flight….this would be my first out of state investment.

Recommendations anyone???

User Stats

Votes
Alex Gunnerson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Mar 1 2023, 19:44

Hi Stephanie,

Kansas City checks all of those boxes except it’s closer to a 3 hour flight. Happy to chat more about the KC market and how I work with out of state investors if you’d like.

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Agbon
Pro Member
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Mar 2 2023, 05:44

North Carolina and South Carolina seems to fit what you're looking for.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Peter Nikic
  • Investor
  • New York & TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York & TN
Replied Mar 2 2023, 07:18

Here's a tip: start with the DC airport (if that's where you plan on flying in/out of). Check "direct flights" from DC to (wherever they fly - but stick to west, south-west and south of DC). Select all cities within 2 hours. 

This will give you a solid list to start with. TN, NC, SC, GA, AL can all be great options. Take your pick. I picked TN.

User Stats

Votes
Austin Grant McDowell
  • Realtor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Mar 2 2023, 07:30

Hey @Stephanie Chapman, we live in SC and have our LTR's located here and have also invested in TN for our STR's. Both are great states to invest in along with NC and GA. Like @Peter Nikic mentioned, take your pick. They can work out for landlord friendly states. Good luck!!