Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Lora Sitler
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
Utilities not separated.

Lora Sitler
Pro Member
  • Erie, PA
Posted Mar 23 2023, 11:09

Hi Everyone, 

I was looking at a multifamily property in the Pittsburgh area, trying to run it as a MTR/ STR but the utilities are separated. Trying to see what my options are on how to split that or finance it in. any help or knowledge would be appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 11:22

@Lora Sitler, if you are renting short term you would be including the utilities in the rental price so I don't understand why you would split them. Even with a mid term rental I suspect its more common to include utilities.

To get a budget, I would start by contacting the utility company they would be able to give you an average cost based on the previous years usage and likely offer a budget billing option where the monthly payments would stay fairly level and just readjust periodically.

To split utilities depends on a lot of details and is often fairly expensive. There are options to "effectively split" some utilities like water by installing submeters and billing back each unit based on their own usage but again I'm not sure you need to do that if you are doing short term rentals. 

User Stats

Votes
Lora Sitler
Pro Member
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Erie, PA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 11:45

Thank you for your response i guess i was looking to see if i went the long-term route for a rental how I would figure that out. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Elise Bickel Tauber
Agent
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cranberry Twp
Votes |
Agent
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cranberry Twp
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:42

Hi Lora. Are you saying you want to figure out a way to pass the cost of utilities onto the tenant? If so, you can do a few things. You can rubz the utilities to share the bill, flat fee the utilities, or submeter. Hope that helps a bit!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 23 2023, 14:37

Do you mean they are not separated? Either way the utilities are your expense. 

User Stats

Votes
Lora Sitler
Pro Member
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Erie, PA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 15:14
Quote from @Elise Bickel Tauber:

Hi Lora. Are you saying you want to figure out a way to pass the cost of utilities onto the tenant? If so, you can do a few things. You can rubz the utilities to share the bill, flat fee the utilities, or submeter. Hope that helps a bit!

Thank you! That’s whAt I was trying to figure out without paying to put in separate meter. What is rubz?  

User Stats

Votes
Lora Sitler
Pro Member
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Erie, PA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 15:16
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Do you mean they are not separated? Either way the utilities are your expense. 

Yes I understand at the end of the day that is my expense. They aren’t submetered for the property currently. I wanted to figure out how to split the utilities for tenants between 3 units 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 23 2023, 17:20

I’ve gotten really good at separating utilities on the low end. Boilers are very simple with duplexes, just trace the lines in the basement to the one apartment and disconnect them. Then I wire up electric baseboard heating. Everything in on YouTube on how to do it. I use dual 20amp breaker with 12/2 wire and you can add up to 3840 watts per  20 amp breaker dual pull. The instructions come with the heaters how to wire them up. It just costed me 2500$ for 3 panels/wire/thermostat/heaters/etc and we paid an electrician to install a 3 gang meter base outside for 3000$.

User Stats

Votes
Percy N.
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 24 2023, 05:42

The water/sewer is the tricky part.

Utilities can be separated and there are RUBS (Ratio Utility Billing Systems) out there that will bill back a proportional amount to each tenant, but these are typically not worth it for smaller number of units.

I would either add a flat utility fee (based on floorplan type) if your local laws allow it or look into bundling it in the rent. What is common with your competitors? What is the ROI for any alternations you try to make?

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Angotti
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Mar 24 2023, 10:26
Quote from @Lora Sitler:

Hi Everyone, 

I was looking at a multifamily property in the Pittsburgh area, trying to run it as a MTR/ STR but the utilities are separated. Trying to see what my options are on how to split that or finance it in. any help or knowledge would be appreciated.

It usually depends if it was purpose built as a multifamily property or if it’s a former single family house that was divided. 

If purpose built its not too bad, you can hire each trade and get bids. Gas can be tough so usually you leave that alone and make the heat for the other units run off of electric. 

If it is a former SFH don’t even bother. It’s going to be a mess. Just include it in the cost of the rental to the tenants. You can charge a fixed amount if you want to do it separately you just have to be able to prove its reasonable. 

Usually we charge $50-100 more per utility included. Water and sewer combined as “one” in this case. Water and sewer are typically included in rent though, so when you see “market rent” or comparable rentals you need to know that it usually includes that. 

That usually underbills it but makes up for most of it. 

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Angotti
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Mar 24 2023, 10:27
Quote from @Patrick Eldridge:

I’ve gotten really good at separating utilities on the low end. Boilers are very simple with duplexes, just trace the lines in the basement to the one apartment and disconnect them. Then I wire up electric baseboard heating. Everything in on YouTube on how to do it. I use dual 20amp breaker with 12/2 wire and you can add up to 3840 watts per  20 amp breaker dual pull. The instructions come with the heaters how to wire them up. It just costed me 2500$ for 3 panels/wire/thermostat/heaters/etc and we paid an electrician to install a 3 gang meter base outside for 3000$.

I assume this is without permits? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 24 2023, 10:31
Quote from @Anthony Angotti:

I assume this is without permits? Y

With permits, I’m a license/insured contractor/home inspector/hvac. I started learning everything 10 years ago and started with YouTube.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Angotti
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Mar 24 2023, 10:35

With permits, I’m a license/insured contractor/home inspector/hvac. I started learning everything 10 years ago and started with YouTube.

Not bad then. 

I’d hesitate to have a newbie wire baseboards though. Maybe start with a couple light fixtures haha. 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 24 2023, 10:36

I assume this is without permits? 

Only way to grow faster is to learn how to do it yourself and become certified. We’ve acquired 32 doors in 2 years following the brrrrr method and doing everything ourselves. Having to pay contractor rates would cost too much.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 24 2023, 10:38

Not bad then. 

I’d hesitate to have a newbie wire baseboards though. Maybe start with a couple light fixtures haha. 

Ya I agree I’d definitely start out with something less complicated. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Thomas
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Mar 24 2023, 11:33

When it comes to real estate, there's no substitute for learning and becoming certified in the brrrr method. We've personally grown our portfolio by 32 doors over the past two years without contractor rates eating into our profits. Becoming certified has been a huge help in growing faster and staying ahead of the game. Not only that, but it has enabled us to take on bigger projects with more confidence knowing that we have the skills necessary to succeed. It's well worth investing time and effort into becoming certified to reap the rewards when it comes to increasing your real estate portfolio.

User Stats

Votes
Elise Bickel Tauber
Agent
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cranberry Twp
Votes |
Agent
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cranberry Twp
Replied Mar 27 2023, 19:47
Quote from @Lora Sitler:

Thank you! That’s whAt I was trying to figure out without paying to put in separate meter. What is rubz?  

Rubs is short for ratio utility billing system. We have it as part of our property management software however there are rubs software availanble online through many sources.

User Stats

Votes
Lora Sitler
Pro Member
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Erie, PA
Replied Mar 28 2023, 12:42
Quote from @Lora Sitler:

Rubs is short for ratio utility billing system. We have it as part of our property management software however there are rubs software availanble online through many sources.

Thank you! I had never heard that term before now! Appreciate it!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 4 2023, 12:18

Rubs is great and a cheap option but is not the only option and not legal in all States, most importantly they continue to make RUBS illegal slowly but surely.  Also most tenants are not thrilled to know they are paying for the entire properties usage, no matter how little or much and sometimes is not worth the savings.  You usually would charge back base off square footage, # of tenants, or # of rooms.  

Another option would be to install submeters for all your utilities and I know from experience that you can have a water, electric, thermal, or whatever utility you are wanting to bill to your tenants, and use a platform like Meterconnex to enable billing from all submeters directly into your billing software.  You then include the charges in your rent and collect directly from your tenants and continue to pay the city bill.  Tenants pay %100 percent of the bill and you know exactly who is using what, not to mention the leak detection and high/low usage reports to have complete control of your properties finances.  I would be happy to speak to you more and point you in the right direction.