Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
Account Closed
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
HVAC options for apartments/condos

Account Closed
  • Lexington, KY
Posted Jul 26 2018, 13:51

Have any of you used single package HVAC (thru the wall) for your builds or rehabs? 

I'm looking for more info so far I've come accross 3 companies: MagicPak, Skymark, and FirstCo that makes these types of units where there is a single HVAC inside of the unit - typically in a closet style box. 

I want to know who has buildings with any of these units or other units that I should consider. At this point they will be electric only/heat pump. No gas or water. 

Just want to know how maintenance and reliability has been for these kinds of units and any pros/cons.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Hadar Orkibi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • USA / NZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • USA / NZ
Replied Jul 26 2018, 16:36

generally speaking the window units are Ok to run and maintain. 

Personally i don't like them. they are noisy and not esthetic - but they are cheaper to buy. Depending on the number of units and location you maybe better off going for central HVAC or wall hanging AC/Heat Pump. 

The good thing about these is that they are electric and gas is not required.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Fennig
  • Investor
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Replied Jul 26 2018, 17:48

Amana is another good HVAC system that's used in many hotels. I  haven't personally worked on them but maintenance guys from a hotel I'm remodeling tell me they're really easy to troubleshoot and fix when they do have issues... and they're very quiet. Don't think they'll be great for apartments or units larger than 600 square feet or that have more than two rooms. I actually took one of their old units from the hotel to use in one of my smaller rentals in the near future that's all electric

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.
Account Closed
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Jul 26 2018, 19:00

I'm sorry I don't think you guys understood my original post. 

The HVAC units I'm talking about are central air with ductwork and is only ONE piece inside each unit. Period. No additional pieces outside and it isn't those air conditioners that go through a wall like in some motels.

Below is a link to the entire piece: https://www.gemaire.com/first-co-18spxa8-hp-1-1-2-...

These are used as central air HVAC units in condos, apartments, etc. They provide heat and cooling. Looking for someone who has dealt with these types of units before.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 26 2018, 21:52
@Sant Li I’ve personally worked in several apartment complexes in Austin with these type of units they’re called fur down units by first Co From experience I think they are very reliable of course if installed right, the most common issues I’ve found with them is the drain getting plugged up and overflowing the drain pan which will mess up your ceiling. Another issue is units not being leveled off so again it won’t drain right, on older units we see a lot of rusted drain pans too . So to sum it up the main issue I see is drains .
Account Closed
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Jul 27 2018, 12:47

@Adrian Erives

Thanks for your response, any idea how old these units were? Also have you come across any other brands in this same type of setup?