Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Jeremie Edwards
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lebanon, OR
Votes |
Building three Duplexes in the valley, on one taxlot.

Jeremie Edwards
  • Lebanon, OR
Posted Aug 2 2022, 10:32

My partners and I just broke ground on a 6 unit build. Its been about a year of red tape and other issues, but we finally got it off the ground! 

I thought it would be fun to do a thread as we progress through the project and share what we are learning, as this is the biggest project we have done.

So far what we have learned is everything takes longer then expected. The engineering, both structural and civil took months to start due to a backlog of projects. The city approval added even more time. From the financing aspect, I was surprised how simple and easy getting a commercial loan as compared to a personal loan.

Here are some basic numbers. We have a build contract for 1.2 mil. We are financing for around 900k of that, and using cash for the rest. The appraised value upon completion is 1.8. We are building 3 bd 2.5bth units, that will rent for 2000-2200 a month. From a numbers standpoint, it looks really good.

Our current plan is to keep the project, and as such we have the ability to covert the loan over to a 10 over 30 commercial loan.

I will add to this post as the project progresses.

The first foundation is being set up, the contractor sent me this today. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Morrow
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Aug 2 2022, 10:40

@Jeremie Edwards This is awesome. Look forward to seeing the progress!!

User Stats

Votes
Dallas Regimbal
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oregon
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oregon
Replied Aug 4 2022, 09:25

@Jeremie Edwards Congrats on finally being able to break ground after a year of being held up, hopefully the rest of the project doesn't have any delays! It sounds like the numbers are solid and you have room to operate. I am excited to see the project progress over time and what it looks like upon completion!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Rudnick
  • Bend, OR
Votes |
  • Bend, OR
Replied Aug 11 2022, 01:03

Thanks for sharing the numbers and experience so far with your project. Real estate development discussion seems to be relatively scarce here on BP, so this is great. I am planning to implement a similar build-to-rent strategy with my vacant lots in Bend, so this post was informative and encouraging. Please do post updates!