Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Yuzi Stha
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Malden, MA
Votes |
Converting oil to gas in Massachusetts cost?

Yuzi Stha
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Malden, MA
Posted Mar 7 2023, 04:30

Hi,

I was looking to purchase a house in Arlington, MA which currently has oil and wanted to convert to gas. When I reached out the National Grid, they said there is gas line in the neighbor house but it needs to be extended to this house the extension estimated length is 19 ft. She quoted me the cost of $102,748. I am really surprised with the cost of extending the gas line, does it really cost hundred thousand dollars to extend 19 ft of main line? 
for service line length is about 225 ft, with national grid covering 100 ft for free, it is about 125 ft in the drive way length for service line.

Anyone has any clue on how much it cost for the gas line extension in Massachusetts?

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Spearin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Mar 7 2023, 06:48

@Yuzi Stha I'm following this thread to see what you learn. I'm also in Boston and want to keep a pulse on something like this for future investments. Hope that you find a cheaper solution!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 10 2023, 12:00

@Yuzi Stha Any reason you are not installing ductless mini splits? They are about 15k per unit to install and there is a 10k rebate per unit right now through MassSave. So really it should only be $5k to install after the rebate. 

Ductless Minisplits only require electricity. You can also get ducted minisplits if you have ducts already installed. 

Cheers, 
Colin

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Mar 14 2023, 20:14

There must be some logistical reasons for that cost, maybe length of the line and condition of the ground (ledge, rocks, etc) but that does not seem cost beneficial to execute unfortunately. I think a fair compromise is to do propane if you feel strongly about conversion with the property. 

The Elle Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Salzillo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Connecticut
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Connecticut
Replied Mar 15 2023, 08:59
Quote from @Lien Vuong:

There must be some logistical reasons for that cost, maybe length of the line and condition of the ground (ledge, rocks, etc) but that does not seem cost beneficial to execute unfortunately. I think a fair compromise is to do propane if you feel strongly about conversion with the property. 

Second propane - cost me $5,500 materials, labor, permits, and excavating to remove the old oil tank and put in a 500 gal underground propane tank in Central CT.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Mar 15 2023, 09:05

I'll second @Joseph Salzillo and @Lien Vuong sounds like propane is the answer. I like heat pumps but the electric bill on 2-3 units is the same as what propane would cost and they don't heat as well. There is also the risk that they shut down in a bad winter storm that gets below negative 10-15.