• Long Beach, CA
Votes |
Pointers for a Ground Up SFR W/ ADUs in Long Beach

Ernesto Garcia
  • Lender
  • Long Beach, CA
Posted Sep 27 2023, 15:08

Hey Guys- 

I am currently working with an investor who is willing to allow me to be a PM on a ground-up construction project. 

I have flipped one property in the past 12 months and it was a heavy rehab. I was comfortable coordinating that project, but Ground Up construction is a completely different beast. 

I understand that we first have to identify the best use for the lot, vett architects, gcs, engineers, etc... 

Are there any seasoned builders who would be willing to give me some pointers, or referrals to start the vetting process? 

All and any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to connecting! 

User Stats

Votes
Renee Harris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 27 2023, 17:52

Ernesto,

Congratulations on successfully completing the flip – no small achievement indeed! Also, I commend you on securing the trust of someone who believes in your abilities as a project manager for a new build. I'm looking for someone to have the same faith in my for flips and buy and holds.

My suggestion is to consider hiring an experienced consultant who has a track record in this field. It would be even better if they have built in Long Beach. The investment you make in their expertise is likely to be a small price to pay compared to the potential losses that could result from costly mistakes.

Best regards,

Renee

User Stats

Votes
Andrew W.
  • Investor
  • CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • CT
Replied Dec 12 2023, 15:55

If you haven't done it before, or worked with someone who has, there will be a steep learning curve.  But in my view if you are willing to put in the time to research and learn, that steep learning curve won't cause any issues with this project.  The first one always takes the longest and you learn the most.  I would recommend reaching out to an architect who does similar projects.  They can also provide you with a referral to an engineer (or vice versa).  They will provide you with input on the best use of the property, associated costs, etc.  I have found that just having the initial conversations is tremendously helpful as you work through the process.  From those initial conversations, you can reach out to others.  You will be surprised at the different opinions, but you will start to understand what you are looking for and it will tailor your vetting process specifically to your project.  Good luck!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.