• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Massapequa Park, NY
Votes |
Due on sale clause insurance

Dominic Inglese
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Massapequa Park, NY
Posted Feb 9 2022, 07:06

Hello, I am looking to do a seller finance subject too combo deal. We are looking for an insurance company that would provide us with a due on sale clause protection policy. Any referrals would really help us secure this deal! Thanks so much!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Feb 9 2022, 07:11
Quote from @Dominic Inglese:

Hello, I am looking to do a seller finance subject too combo deal. We are looking for an insurance company that would provide us with a due on sale clause protection policy. Any referrals would really help us secure this deal! Thanks so much!

There is no insurance company that offers this type of product. There was a guy on a podcast that referred to insurance, but the website actually called it assurance. It is more like a deed warranty. The website looked very sketchy, so I am not even going to promote it here. Honestly, most people doing subject too have no insurance/assurance type guarantee. Generally speaking if you are paying the loan on time, there will be no issue. Worst case, you just need to find someone to finance the deal if the loan is called. 

User Stats

Votes
Dominic Inglese
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Massapequa Park, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Massapequa Park, NY
Replied Feb 9 2022, 08:21

Awesome Joe, thanks for the input that really helps us out!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Nov 26 2022, 13:09

How did your subject to process go?  Was the loan ever called?  Did you ever get the insurance?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Nov 26 2022, 15:17

@Dominic Inglese

Out of curiosity, what would you want them to insure against ?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 13 2022, 10:13
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Dominic Inglese

Out of curiosity, what would you want them to insure against ?

I believe it's to insure against the due on sale clause being called. There's a subject-to guru named Pace Morby who claims to be a partner in a company called Equity Assurance where you pay 1% of the purchase price as the premium and they allegedly insure against the due on sale clause, where if it's called they'll refinance the loan for you at the same rate and terms as the existing mortgage. I have no idea if it's legit though.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Dec 13 2022, 10:14

Unfortunately I don't think such a thing exists. Banks rarely call a loan due for a subject to, but it's simply a risk you have to take. 

User Stats

Votes
Brady Hales
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
  • Provo, UT
Replied Apr 28 2023, 22:03

@Dominic Inglese if you are really really worried about it just purchase on an agreement for sale. The bank would never know because the deed isn't recorded until the loan is paid off. It's not quite as ideal as having title recorded in your name the moment it closes but it is still a decent option.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 29 2023, 07:51
Quote from @Dominic Inglese:

I should start a company where insuring it for 5% fee per year and if they call the loan we will pay it off and the borrower would have 90 days to refinance us out or continue to pay us prime + 12%...

User Stats

Votes
Cecil L. Russell
  • New to Real Estate
  • Amarillo, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Amarillo, TX
Replied Apr 30 2023, 20:15

The simplest method to circumnavigate the due on sale clause is have the seller put the property into a land trust before you buy, and then transfer the trust to you. This means if you transfer ownership from the seller's name and into a trust, the lender will not be able to demand payment of the entire note. This falls under the Garn/St. Germain Act.

The Garn–St Germain Act is a federal law that allows lenders to enter into or enforce contracts, including mortgage agreements, that contain due-on-sale clauses even if a state’s constitution or laws, including their judicial decisions, prohibit them. However, the Garn–St Germain Act lists nine situations in which due-on-sale clauses are not enforceable, including some transfers that may be relevant to your estate plan. In the nine situations specified, lenders may not enforce due-on-sale provisions in real property loans “secured by a lien on residential real property containing less than five dwelling units, including a lien on the stock allocated to a dwelling unit in a cooperative housing corporation, or on a residential manufactured home.”

If you are interested and want to know exactly what the law says, as applicable to you, you can read it here,
https://www.law.cornell.edu/us...

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied May 1 2023, 09:35

While I agree that transferring to a trust and then later changing the beneficiary is the best method, the exemption for a transfer to a trust specifically requires that the borrower is and remains a beneficiary. So ultimately that code provision is not going to save you if and when the lender calls the loan due.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Seeker
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied May 15 2023, 15:13

Had the same questions and concerns. Just found this on National RE Insurance Group: https://nreig.com/insure-subje...