Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
George Red
Votes |
List ranking KCMO neighborhoods... is this accurate?

George Red
Posted Feb 28 2023, 12:18
Hey all, I came across this online list of neighborhoods in KCMO ranked from 1-143. Reaching out to get some boots on the ground perspective as to accuracy of the list... I'm an OOS investor and have generally bought in East Meyer and looking at other areas. Any insight is appreciated and thanks in advance.

https://www.homesnacks.com/bes...

- George

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Feb 28 2023, 12:24

Happy to chat. These are prime parts of KC. Prices over 300/400K which is for a home owner not an investor(maybe STR). These also don't include the suburbs which have great schools and are ideal for investing in too

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Feb 28 2023, 12:27
Quote from @George Red:
Hey all, I came across this online list of neighborhoods in KCMO ranked from 1-143. Reaching out to get some boots on the ground perspective as to accuracy of the list... I'm an OOS investor and have generally bought in East Meyer and looking at other areas. Any insight is appreciated and thanks in advance.

- George
I have never used any online tool to tell me which area to buy or not, waste of time. Use this tool for Cleveland and the burbs, and east Cleveland and you would say NO WAY. Well you ( and this tool ) would not have been more wrong. Over the last 10 years pricing has doubled tripled or more on top of the 20% ++ net caps....... Its all about knowledge and your team, NOT reading online info, all a waste of time
All the best 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
George Red
Votes |
Replied Feb 28 2023, 12:44

@Caleb Brown the list goes past the "prime" areas all the way down to the 143rd neighborhood. The top does have prime areas though. @Bob Stevens I wouldn't call reading a list that may provide directional guidance to an OOS investor a waste of time... it's just information. Nothing that I would base a purchase decision on 100% but not harmful information to know.

The question stands. For people familiar with the Market, thoughts on the list and fairly accurate?

User Stats

Votes
Wyatt Seidel
  • Investor
  • Kansas City
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City
Replied Feb 28 2023, 13:12

Hey George! I'm an investor and agent here locally in the Kansas City area. Don't listen to Bob up there telling you it's a waste of time. It's better than what other people are doing by actually giving it some thought and trying to learn. I would love to connect and chat with you about this area. I'm going to message you.

User Stats

Votes
Laura Williams
  • Kansas City MO
Votes |
  • Kansas City MO
Replied Feb 28 2023, 20:43

@George Red As an investor I think the more important question is which areas are moving up on the list & getting better. I would look at where new development is happening...what neighborhoods that used to be seedy are starting to see flips and bad houses getting bought up...where is the city investing tax dollars to improve...what neighborhoods are the hipsters starting to move into...where are the cool coffee shops and restaurants opening...where are the big money players buying up land to develop. There's alot you can find googling online  or from looking at zillow and researching which areas seem to be doing alot of flips or driving neighborhoods and looking around.

User Stats

Votes
George Red
Votes |
Replied Mar 2 2023, 13:13

@Laura Williams I just shot you a connect request and a message there. Happy Thursday!

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Street
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Mar 3 2023, 12:38

@George Red you already know to reach out to me bro! I got you! 

@Bob Stevens did you say reading info online is a waste of time? Lol why are you on a forum site then?

Don't listen to haters George! Learning is never a waste of time

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 3 2023, 14:52
Quote from @Dustin Street:

@Bob Stevens did you say reading info online is a waste of time? Lol why are you on a forum site then?

I knew nothing 10 years ago. My first month I flipped  a contract $19,000. Well approximately 500 deals later in my market ( just in the past two weeks put 24  single families and an 18 unit under contract and already have contracts from buyers.) . Property management, more than 4000 renovations/repairs. Buying from various sources. Really nothing I’ve not done. I’ve never been to a Guru  seminar read a book watched a video.. For some it may be OK for me I find it a complete waste of time. I find hands-on doing you’ll learn more in one week than you will in seven months reading books. I hope it works for you all the best to you   i’m not hating on anyone, if you’re reading books and searching the Internet for months on end works for you then God bless

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 4 2023, 04:31
Quote from @Dustin Street:

Oh BTW, the internet is said I was crazy to "set up shop" in my market 10 years ago, well how wrong were they.? Prices more then tripled in most areas, on top of the 25- 30% net caps.  The internet also says, stay away from certain areas in my market, well they would be very wrong again. Sure reading can provide a general gist. but it will 100% not provide reality. I find that most people that read book after book , and go to seminars never do a deal......

BTW again just connect with someone doing deals. Go to the local RE meetings.  You will learn more in a week then  a 1 year reading info online. 

All the best to you  

User Stats

Votes
George Red
Votes |
Replied Mar 4 2023, 09:43

@Dustin Street Bob Stevens did 500 deals and owns half of East Cleveland without doing research or "learning" online... he just knows. No fancy pants questions or information sharing... he just knows. @Bob Stevens uses the internet not as a tool to learn, but as a pulpit from which to share his omnipotence with the masses. Dustin you may think that he uses the internet to find local REI meetups but you'd be wrong... local REI meetups find Bob Stevens. When Bob Stevens and Chuck Norris sit down for dinner to set the global agenda for the next week they don't read menus or research options... they just order... they inherently just know.

Bob multiple people have pointed out that your initial response may have come across as abrasive. Just a quick note below on how you could have handled things without eliciting the same response.

* If you didn't have any information relevant to the conversation, you could have simply not responded to the post.

* You could have said something like "I don't have any information about neighborhoods in KC and I wish you luck in your search. In my experience people can overemphasize research and it can stop them from actually taking action, try to be sure to balance the two so you're moving toward your investment goals while learning."

For the record I already own investment property in the market and was asking for additional information/insight from other community members (kinda the point of this forum). It is also ironic that you're posting to tell people not to take advice/information from online sources while simultaneously dispensing advice online. I wish you the best in your future endeavors (honestly) and hopefully you'll consider why your response received pushback from multiple community members.

I hope you have a good weekend.

User Stats

Votes
Lee Ripma
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prairie Village, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prairie Village, KS
Replied Mar 5 2023, 22:02
Quote from @George Red:

- George

My issue with your guide it is geared toward SFH homeowners. I personally live in an A+ area with only SFH, well rated schools, and near zero rentals. The rent to price ratio makes zero sense for investors, so we don't buy investment property here but we live here.

Most investors will invest in B+ to D neighborhoods. From my experience the median household incomes really determines  the neighborhood class but I also look at all the VestMap.com DISCERN factors. In KC I'm using the following splits in general with local knowledge of demographics, schools, crime, growth, and rent levels. 

I am only including B+ to D zip codes below and they are broken out by where that zip code is located so it isn’t just a string of meaningless zip codes. 

Instead of finding exact locations I recommend finding several locations that will work and picking the class you want. Then evaluate each available deal. No use having a location without a deal you can buy! 

General income splits: 

A 99k+

B+ 75k - 99k

B 56k - 75k

B-/C+ 48k - 56k

C 28k - 48k

D under 28k

Guide to Kansas City Zip codes

B+ zips

Blue Springs

Grain Valley

Lee’s Summit

Raymore

Kansas City, MO

Liberty

Northland

Shawnee Mission

Olathe

Prairie Village

Gardner

B zips

Kansas City, MO

Independence:

North Kansas City

Overland Park/Merriam

B - /C+ zips

Gladstone

North Kansas City

Independence:

Raytown

Grandview

Belton

Kansas City, KS

C zips

Historic Northeast:

Kansas City, MO

Independence:

Kansas City, KS

Riverside

D zips

Kansas City, MO

Kansas City, KS

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Street
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Mar 6 2023, 06:50

@George Red Love your response lo! 

Also, as far as the list you shared, it's obviously debatable, but I think it's pretty accurate, for KCMO. I did notice it doesn't look like it includes the Kansas side. If you are looking for most valuable neighborhoods, you have to branch out over there. Johnson county(Ks) is probably the most valuable area in Kansas City. It also doesn't seem like it includes suburb areas, like Lee's Summit. Also a valuable area. 

User Stats

Votes
George Red
Votes |
Replied Mar 6 2023, 09:14

@Lee Ripma AMAZING! Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response and area breakdown, very much appreciated. Yeah when I looked at the higher end properties they don't pencil out for sure, the breakdown of the B-C-D areas is very helpful. @Dustin Street thanks for the additional information on the KS side. I'll definitely leverage this moving forward.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Apr 3 2023, 19:30

I've found this forum post to be a good rule of thumb for KC zip codes despite it being a bit on the older side: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Nic S.
Pro Member
  • Danville. CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Danville. CA
Replied Sep 12 2023, 21:17

@George Red @Lee Ripma is legit