• New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Votes |
Buying a second home in the current market

Erik Lopez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Posted Apr 2 2023, 12:23

I have been living in my current home since 2021, I have thought about potentially buying a second home and rent out my current one where I am living, what's sort of stopping me is the fact that interest rates are really high and there has been a lot of layoffs in my industry, is anyone else in a similar situation as me?

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 2 2023, 12:48
Quote from @Erik Lopez:

I have been living in my current home since 2021, I have thought about potentially buying a second home and rent out my current one where I am living, what's sort of stopping me is the fact that interest rates are really high and there has been a lot of layoffs in my industry, is anyone else in a similar situation as me?

Better to buy while you still have a W2 if you think you have a chance of getting laid off. Buying a 2-4 unit owner occupant for 3-5% down is a great investment. You can go FHA, VA, Home Possible, Portfolio loans from some banks offer 5% down no PMI.

Use the market uncertainty to your negotiating efforts. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 2 2023, 12:55

Buy a place if the numbers work.  If you can buy a place where all of the expenses are covered by the tenants (or if that works for your current home), then go ahead.  Even if the market goes down a bit, you are in it for the long term (ie not flipping) and simply don't sell when the market is down.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Erik Lopez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Replied Apr 3 2023, 17:38
Quote from @Marc Rice:
Quote from @Erik Lopez:

Better to buy while you still have a W2 if you think you have a chance of getting laid off. Buying a 2-4 unit owner occupant for 3-5% down is a great investment. You can go FHA, VA, Home Possible, Portfolio loans from some banks offer 5% down no PMI.

Unfortunately 2-4 units tend to sell very fast in my area, so a single family home is the next best thing for me

User Stats

Votes
Erik Lopez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Replied Apr 3 2023, 17:48
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Buy a place if the numbers work.  If you can buy a place where all of the expenses are covered by the tenants (or if that works for your current home), then go ahead.  Even if the market goes down a bit, you are in it for the long term (ie not flipping) and simply don't sell when the market is down.

I think if I were to put my current home for rent let’s call this home 1, that there’s a good chance that the rent would cover the mortgage payment, if I were to move to a 2nd home, any  rent money left from house 1 would be going to the mortgage of house 2.

the ideal scenario for me would be to have some money left after making the payments for the 2 mortgages, but let’s  say that if potential tenants cover basically the mortgage for house 1 and then some for house 2 , would you say that this scenario is good even if I am not positively cash flowing? I would still need to put some of my own towards house 2

The high interests are making it hard to come across a home where the numbers work that’s a good distance from my work.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 3 2023, 17:53
Quote from @Erik Lopez:
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

I think if I were to put my current home for rent let’s call this home 1, that there’s a good chance that the rent would cover the mortgage payment, if I were to move to a 2nd home, any  rent money left from house 1 would be going to the mortgage of house 2.

the ideal scenario for me would be to have some money left after making the payments for the 2 mortgages, but let’s  say that if potential tenants cover basically the mortgage for house 1 and then some for house 2 , would you say that this scenario is good even if I am not positively cash flowing? I would still need to put some of my own towards house 2

The high interests are making it hard to come across a home where the numbers work that’s a good distance from my work.

If you could rent out house 1 and buy house 2 and have the rent from house 1 cover both  set of expenses, that would be amazing.  Most of the time you are only going to find a place where the rent from house 1 covers all of the expenses for house 1 with a bit left over after budgeting for repairs and maintenance.

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 4 2023, 06:51
Quote from @Erik Lopez:
Quote from @Marc Rice:
Quote from @Erik Lopez:

Unfortunately 2-4 units tend to sell very fast in my area, so a single family home is the next best thing for me

If you try hard enough you can find one - you should be networking with brokers/agents, wholesalers, and checking FB marketplace in your local area daily to find one. Go on Fiverr and pull a skip traced list of all 2-4 units in the zip codes you want and cold call them. 

There's always a way!

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 4 2023, 06:58

Hey @Erik Lopez

Because of interest rates skyrocketing, I have been immersing myself in creative financing, so maybe you could get your second property "subject to" or "owner financing" with a very low-interest rate. 

Good luck!