Votes |
Driving for dollars and

Patrick Shep
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Washington, DC
Posted Apr 16 2023, 17:50

BP Fam,

I'm a buy and hold investor with 6 units and I really want to accelerate my cash coming in by getting more cash for down payments.  I work a full time job, so I don't have much time to really jump into wholesaling and pulling lists and cold calling. I've got a bite on a potential deal to wholesale or flip because I stopped and talked to the owner who was outside.

I'm always looking at houses as I drive around.  I want to stop and drop off a  "Direct mailer" when I see these  houses in bad shape and then skip trace and call them. 

Has anyone done this before and does it help to knock on the door and talk to someone if they are home?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 16 2023, 19:43

You want to be outbound with your lead generation as much as possible. Going door to door with mailers takes too much time and does not cover a lot of ground. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 20 2023, 06:31

"I've got a bite on a potential deal to wholesale or flip because I stopped and talked to the owner who was outside." 

This is what I prefer doing over any cold-calling and mailing strategies. Plus you said you are already driving around looking. Therefore, stopping and talking fits your lifestyle, plus it only cost you time and not thousands of dollars. I'm not crazy about buying the same list everyone's buying. If you do what everyone is doing you will get what everyone's got. Admittedly, I am a mom and pop operation but I do okay.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 20 2023, 08:17

Driving for dollars is a time-consuming and expensive strategy - although, D4D is the best way to build a personalized and exclusive lead list, and these leads often turn into the most profitable and lucrative deals for wholesalers/REI.

I would consider using tools to help with your D4D process - especially AI tools - to become more efficient. Then once you have all the homes you want to target, do some sort of outbound strategy. Speaking with sellers I believe typically yields best results.