Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dan Tarpein
Votes |
Use cash-out refi, or owner raised capital for down payment?

Dan Tarpein
Posted Apr 16 2023, 19:44

Hey all, thanks for taking time to read this. 

My name is Dan, and I have a new LLC for property investments that I started with my brother and sister. This LLC is located in the Quad Cities, Iowa, and my brother is the main boots on the ground component with the vast majority of RE experience compared to my sister and I. I'm located in California, and my sister is in Colorado. For each of the deals we have averaged about $25K owner capital for each down payment.

My question is this, since we got in on interest rates when they were between 3.125 and 3.99%, and the appraisal values for each of the properties has increased significantly, should we utilize a cash out refi for our next down payment? Keep putting in our own cash for a down payment? I want to keep the velocity of our money going, and not use my hard earned cash, but I also don't want to lose those sweet interest rates since our cash flow isn't terrible.  I'm attaching the financials for our three properties in case that helps someone figure out the numbers. This is current as of today. 

For reference, I've just started diving deep into RE education, reading the David Greene books, the whole nine, so I can be part of the solution instead of a bystander when it comes to real estate scenarios. 

Thank you so much for any input the community has. I still have a LOT to learn. 

Best, 

Dan

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Apr 16 2023, 20:28

@Dan Tarpein Welcome to BP! I certainly would not trade those low interest rates for higher ones. I'd vote for putting in our own cash for a downpayment. Leverage is good, over leverage might be dangerous in our current market. That's my perspective.

User Stats

Votes
Ashley Noethe
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianola, IA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianola, IA
Replied Apr 18 2023, 12:48

I am typically all about the cash out refinance, but in this market I would be weary of giving up a solid interest rate. I would vote on using your own cash and if rates settle down in the future definitely reconsider the cash out refi route for future investments.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dan Tarpein
Votes |
Replied Apr 18 2023, 16:15

Ashley - thanks for the response. I think you and Bjorn are spot on. If we cash out refi we’re looking at the potential of increased $9K in mortgage expense/year. I’m definitely willing to do that if the right multi-family deal popped up that offset that increased expense. 

For now I haven’t seen a deal like that, so we’ll continue down the road of owner capital + profits (we don’t take any profit out of the account, it all rolls back into the business at this point). 

Once we start rolling again on some more residential deals, I think BRRRR'ing at similar interest rates makes more sense.

Thanks again for your input and your time, Ashley!