• Cottage Grove, WI
Votes |
Building storage units

Ryan Wessel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cottage Grove, WI
Posted Apr 20 2023, 08:39

Hello Everyone,

I am building a storage unit facility and 38 of the units are going to be large 14' by 45' units with power over head doors with 2 light fixtures. 

When I rent the larger units they come with power included in the rent, the idea is so they can trickle charge their boats/rv/other toys and run a shop vac or other smaller items.   The last ones i did, i put the lights on an occupancy sensor and a timer on the outlets.  The problem I am having is that if someone wants to trickle charge i have to remove the timer.  I don't really want people running fridges/freezers or electric heaters (these are metal non insulated units).  I thought i could put a 10 amp service to each unit but you could still run a 750 watt heater. 

Does anybody here have any recommendations of electric monitoring meters that hook up the internet and are easily monitored or shut off after a certain kw limit is used.  

I don't really want to have the electric company put in individual meters on the unit because the meters are a base price of $30 per month and that would drive up my rental price vs the competition.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!  

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied Apr 20 2023, 08:47

Put an inline breaker button at the plugin.  If they trip it, they can reset.  Talk with your electrician.  Put a sign above, only for trickle charging.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Wessel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cottage Grove, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cottage Grove, WI
Replied Apr 23 2023, 06:47

Thank you Henry, would an inline breaker be on the outlet? so if someone were to swap the outlet out that would "cheat" system, correct?  My last facility I put in emon demon submeters in my unit but I never read them to charge back the usage, to time consuming.  When I build my locations now I don't have a management unit, I put all my security/electrical/internet in a locked panel on the outside.  I would like to find a more high tech solution vs something in a the unit that is easily by passed.  I appreciate the advice on the inline breaker idea, I will talk to my electrician.  www.packandpay.com

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 24 2023, 18:07

How are you currently finding storage deals in today's market? I am currently sending letters out but having limited responses.