User Stats

Votes
Ron White
Votes |
HELOC or not?

Ron White
Posted Jun 3 2023, 12:03

Hi David,

We are the owners of a four-bedroom Cape Cod home with a detached garage on a 2.89-acre lot in Snellville GA. We listen to your podcast daily and we have the bug to get into real estate investing. We put 25% down on our house at the time of purchase and we have approximately $200K+ in equity.

Our home has three bedrooms on the upper level with 2.5 half baths. We have a bedroom on the lower level with its own bath and approximately 1100 square feet of living space. Also on the property is a detached two-car garage.

We are thinking about converting the lower half of the house into a separate short-term rental space. We have an estimate for approximately. $35K to install a kitchen and laundry room. We also believe the detached garage could be an excellent ADU candidate. We are wondering what loan vehicle (i.e., HELOC, Construction, Rental Purchase, or other) you would suggest using to fund the effort or would you use the funds to purchase an additional home instead? A lot of possibilities and we would like your advice on how to proceed.

Stephanie and Ron

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 3 2023, 13:25

Well, first off welcome to the BP community. Congratulations on deciding to get into Real Estate Investing, I personally like the idea of HELOC's but make sure you get the best one you can as far as % of equity they give you and interest rate. I am not sure what you know about the HELOC's but what makes them so appealing to me is it is like a credit card, you are generally only responsible for the interest on money you actually use. There is usually a term that the you have to pay off the principle by but it's not like a loan where you have a principle and interest payment, so it makes it a bit easier on the pocket to only have to pay back interest and anything extra goes towards the principle and than that amount is available to be used again.

Example: you say you have 200,000 in equity if a bank gives you a 75% HELOC you now have access to 150,000 whenever you need it. You go buy a rental property for say 100,000 you have 50,000 left over for any repairs and you say (just for easy math) your interest payment is 750 a month which you can swing without income from the rental so its not a big deal so until you get the unit rented you pay the 750 and then once you rent the unit for say 2000 a month you now start paying 1750 to the bank and then after that first 1750 payment your available balance is now 51,000 and so on. Me personally I love HELOC's though some people don't.

As far as what to do with the house or buy a separate property, I'd say run the numbers on all scenarios and see what makes the most sense for you. I personally would probably try to locate an additional property but again you need to run the numbers for your area and do what best fits your end goals and lifestyle. Is the STR market hot in your area now? Or are LTR prices up right now due to the lack of availability?

User Stats

Votes
Ron White
Votes |
Replied Jun 3 2023, 17:11

We really appreciate the advice and your perspective.   We will do an analysis on both options per your advice. 

Thanks 

Stephanie and Ron

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jun 4 2023, 08:27

First thing I would check is if your municipality allows STRs.  Also, my municipality allows or prohibits second kitchens.  On our primary residence lot, we can "have as many kitchens as you want," the code officer said.  But we cannot do short term rentals.  Ensure that the plans you have will be allowed with your code enforcement and building department.  Is your lot zoned for more than single family residences?

Say you do the modification without pulling a permit, that would be disclosed when you sell.  There could be fines.  In one place I lived (Tucson) the building department had a friend of mine tear out the extra room he had added, because the work was not inspected nor permitted.  So do some work on this side of things before you think about spending money to change the use of your property.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 4 2023, 08:27

@Ron White Anytime, by no means am I saying my plan is the best/right or only plan but it has worked so far with me, I am curious to see others replies as well.  That is the best part of this whole journey it is very fluid and can/should change along the way.