Sewer Line Drains To Ejector Pump

Sewer Line Drains To Ejector Pump

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hey everyone,


I'm looking for some advice on a particular property's sewer situation. I'm under contract to buy a property that is zoned as a single family home but it has 3 apartment units - 2nd floor, first floor, and basement. 

When I had a sewer inspector scope the sewer line through the catch basin (back of the house), the line was full of water and the camera couldn't see much. I had the line rodded twice (two different sewer contractors) and while some debris was removed, the rod kept hitting something solid. Turns out the rod was hitting the ejector pump (about 50 feet down) which is located in the basement at the front of the house next to the sewer stack. The ejector pump was noted as not working by both the home inspector and sewer contractor. The contractor recommended replacing the pump for ~$630 and I understand that $500-$1000 is a typical range for that. There was an odor of sewer gas when I removed the panel to the ejector pump during the home inspection and when the catch basin was open & being rodded. Seems like that would just need to be properly sealed.

But it appears that all of the sewage for the property first drains to the ejector pit before it is pumped to the main sewer. The main sewer line was cut and the ejector pump & pit was installed there. 

My question is:  Would this be a red flag or dealbreaker for you? 

Personally I don't like the idea of the entire sewage system being dependent on a pump, which can fail. Typical drainage through tried and true gravity is much more preferable me. All of the sewer scopes I've seen from catch basins go from the sewer line all the way to the main sewer, so this is atypical. A tenant has been occupying the basement (unsure how long) and since the pump doesn't appear to be working I'm surprised there has not been any sewer back up so far. I just don't want to inherit a massive problem.

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @Paul De Luca Frankly I'd be a lot more concerned about what the property is zoned for and is the construction permitted. The sewer may not even matter. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    It is definitely a critical additional maintenance and repair issue. If the pump is currently not working, the "catch basin" as you call it, apparently has a large capacity. It will almost certainly need to be pumped out and inspected, and the pump will need to get replaced, possibly along with a control panel and float switch. You have to properly size the replacement pumps based on size of output pipe and height of total lift required to connect to the City main. 

    The systems I have experience with all had two pumps for redundancy, with the controls alternating the pump operation every cycle. These pumps usually incorporate a "grinder", and you do need to educate Tenants to not flush ANYTHING other than toilet tissue. Those grinders are tough, but costly and no fun whatsoever to change out. You should have an audible alarm to alert you/the Tenants to any pump failure. This is critical if you are near any body of water...creek, stream, pond, lake, ocean, whatever. EPA does not take sewage spills into waterways lightly...and neither do lower level Tenants and remediation pros if it all ends up flooding your basement.

    For longest life, you should plan on annual preventative maintenance, which means pulling the pumps to clean the intakes and clean/remove debris from the pit; and you should get in the habit of checking the motor brushes. Have a set on hand any time you pull the pumps.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.