• Real Estate Agent
  • Davenport, FL
Votes |
Wholesaler Misrepresented himself

Nikki Harmon
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Davenport, FL
Posted Sep 9 2015, 21:39

I am in the midst of dealing with a wholesaler that has left a bad taste in my mouth for the wholesaling business, and am wondering if this is common practice.

A little background:  So, I'm trying to sell my house and move to Central Florida for a job opportunity for my husband. The plan is for us to began a real estate business, with me focusing on it fulltime, and him eventually joining me once we are successful enough to afford it.  

The key to doing all of this is selling my home. It is an inherited home that needs updating.  We initially were selling it to a family friend so that it could stay within the family in a way, but that didn't work.  At this point, we are just interested in selling it quickly, and willing to leave a substantial amount of money on the table to do so, if necessary.  I had started filling out some of the "we buy houses" forms online to see if any investors would make it worthwhile for us.  I got several hits, and chose to go with someone who established themselves as a cash buyer who could close within 2 weeks.  I informed him of the comps in the area, and my knowledge of the property, and we haggled a price that my husband and I felt comfortable with.  I researched him a bit, seeing that he was a flipper and wholesaler.  At the time I was not too familiar with how wholesaling worked, and he had never mentioned wholesaling.  We signed an offer, sight unseen, with a 7 day inspection period.  He said he would be scheduling an inspector the next day.  The next day, he said he would schedule the inspector for early in the week because he wanted to come with him and was stuck in Broward (we are in Miami).  The following day(Saturday), he said his partner was in the area and wanted to take a look at the property. We obliged. On Monday(labor day), I asked when I should expect him and the inspector. He told me he would let me know Tuesday morning.  Tuesday morning, he asked if the inspector could come by at 7pm. I said yes and asked if he was coming also. He informed me he would not be.  Later in the day, he told me another "partner" was in the area and would like to visit the property. Again, we obliged, but I started to become more suspicious. I had already did some digging into his social media presence to see if he had listed our property with his wholesales over the weekend, and found nothing.  The next partner showed up at 5:30pm, and had another woman with her.  We chatted, and they took pictures, and left.  At 7pm, there was a knock on the door, and I assumed it to be the inspector, but it was someone different, someone who I had not been informed to expect.  I asked him if he was "blank", the inspector. He was not. He was another "partner", and mentioned "xyz" wasn't going to make it, but didn't "xyz" tell me that he was coming? No, also, I have no idea who that is. I spoke with "insert cash buyer name". "Oh, yeah. "Xyz" and "cash buyer" work in the same office." We go ahead and let this person view the property, and I check in with "cash buyer" to straighten if and when inspector is coming and who this guy was. He apologizes for his slip up, and not notifying me of the other "partner", says he will check in with the inspector and get back to me.  Inspector shows up. Now, I'm expecting and prepared for a full official home inspection.  This guy looks around the property for less than 10 minutes. He does no more than any of the "partners" do and leaves.  At this point, I'm very nervous about the whole situation, so I start digging again, and find that he has listed the property with his wholesales.  I do a bit of research on wholesaling and find out that there is a practice of putting a property under contract by identifying yourself as a cash buyer, trying to flip it to an end buyer, and then using the inspection period to back out if you can't flip it to an end buyer.  I confront the "cash buyer" with the knowledge that he has listed my property as a wholesale property.  I ask him if he intends to terminate the contract if he can't flip it to an end buyer. I don't want the property tied up unnecessarily as I am looking to move quickly.  His exact response: "Yes I either close on the property myself first or flip to an end buyer. I will know by the end of today so no worries about dragging it any further.  I knew your situation from the beginning that's why I kept the inspection to seven days only.  It's normally 15 days."  I wait until the end day and ask him what the plan is. He says that he has two cash buyers that would like to view the property tomorrow, and then will decide from there.(At least he us finally honest about who these people are)  I ask him if this means he intends to terminate the contract if he can't find an end buyer? His response: "Please give me till tomorrow afternoon I am doing absolutely everything I can to make this work. I know how important it is to you and your family"

I'm wondering if there is any recourse I have at this point.  I will wait and see what he says tomorrow, and maybe we will get lucky, and one of these investors will want the property. However, I don't have faith in that. The deal I made with him is great for an investor.  The money he has tacked on to wholesale it, makes it a little too expensive for an investment opportunity, I feel.  The whole situation has taught me some big lessons, and I'm trying hard to keep my cool.  Is this how it always works? 

Loading replies...