Open Carry, Concealed carry or no carry while do business

Open Carry, Concealed carry or no carry while do business

Property Manager · San Antonio Texas · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 29 votes

I am an advocate of "its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it" I do know some people don't feel comfortable with open carry. I have heard the argument it is safer for some people to draw and protect themselves while open carry. Just wanted to get others opinion. 

15Reply
314 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

Open carry is an immediate deterrent. However, someone that's not planning a crime and not familiar with guns (thanks, media!) may see it as a threat so concealed carry may be better. I don't think there's a perfect answer.

When I carry, which is rare, I carry concealed just because I don't want to be seen as a threat to anyone.

No matter which one you choose, be sure to practice and ensure you are comfortable with the draw and know how to carry safely with one in the chamber. You may not have time to rack when the time comes.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

113 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Irina Belkofer

    Another thought you must really piss off you costumers I do not see any way or reason why would one would want to kill a realtor

    For a few bucks you carry around with you??

  • Real Estate Broker · Auburn, WA · Member since 2015 · 151 posts · 106 votes
    7y

    @Renay Reese

    I open carry sometimes but, mostly conceal carry. The art of surprise is always a better position for protection.

    I’m a big guy so not a lot of people screw with me. Here in Seattle (sanctuary city) if you go into the city, you’re better off carrying a conceal!! The criminals here a thick along with aggressive homeless meth heads!

  • Real Estate Broker · Auburn, WA · Member since 2015 · 151 posts · 106 votes
    7y

    @Renay Reese my employer doesn’t want us to carry but, I do because I work near the airport and people are crazy around here...

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    7y

    Why would you even bother to rent to Tennant's or for that matter even own a building in a area if the only way you feel safe there is to carry? I wouldn't even consider buying a place if I didn't feel safe there.

    Don't get me wrong I think that the second amendment is great. People often overlook the 6th amendment though saying they can be judge jury and excutionor. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    Definitely conceal carry. My thought process is if that situation ever happens all I want is options. The option to get on the ground with everyone else and blend in, the option to remove myself from the situation and flee or the option if my life is in immediate danger to at least make an attempt to save it. I’ll be damned if I’m leaving that decision up to a thug/junkie. There is a lot to be said about the element of surprise.

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I fully support the second amendment, but I would never open carry. I am an attention averse person by nature. Walking around with a gun on my hip would feel ridiculous to me. I’ve seen people open carry (not here in Los Angeles of course) and I always get the impression they are more concerned about making a statement than they are about protecting themselves. In the business world this could get misconstrued as unprofessional. Kind of like pulling up in a car covered in bumper stickers. 

    I say concealed carry all the way. You have the right to protect yourself, and you should exercise that right if you choose to. The gun is tucked away and nobody will know it’s there, and you also don’t risk offending any potential clients that could cost you opportunity. Concealed carry is a Win Win. If I could conceal carry I would but unfortunately where I live it’s literally impossible to get a CC permit. If I had the option I would. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford. CT · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 54 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Renay Reese:

    I am an advocate of "its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it" I do know some people don't feel comfortable with open carry. I have heard the argument it is safer for some people to draw and protect themselves while open carry. Just wanted to get others opinion. 

     You're element of surprise is blown if they know you're carrying. Get a kahr 380 acp. It's California compliant and very light. No kickback at all I ♥️ my gun. However, if you're in rough areas on a regular basis, I would consider it. I would picture you with that cute suit on like your picture and it wouldn't be that visible, you be like an FBI agent, love it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford. CT · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 54 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @George W.:

    Why would you even bother to rent to Tennant's or for that matter even own a building in a area if the only way you feel safe there is to carry? I wouldn't even consider buying a place if I didn't feel safe there.

    Don't get me wrong I think that the second amendment is great. People often overlook the 6th amendment though saying they can be judge jury and excutionor. 

     Because my favorite property is my D neighborhood property in the hood. It is the only house making more than double my mortgage payment. Highest cashflow of all of them too with the least risk Tenants were blown away at the work in that area of town. They have been wonderful tenants for two years and I did pop into the property last year it looked like the day they moved in.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 807 posts · 815 votes
    7y

    Self defense training, situational awareness, pepper spray and de-escalation are all good. But when someone is trying to fillet you like a fish with a knife, all those things don't matter any more. That's when your firearm is your last resort. 

    To answer the question....Concealed all the way. People don't need to know you're armed, but it's there if you need it. And I hope I NEVER need it.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    It depends on the laws in your state, the agents and clients comfort zone, as well as insurance. 

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Philip Johnson:
    Originally posted by @George W.:

    Why would you even bother to rent to Tennant's or for that matter even own a building in a area if the only way you feel safe there is to carry? I wouldn't even consider buying a place if I didn't feel safe there.

    Don't get me wrong I think that the second amendment is great. People often overlook the 6th amendment though saying they can be judge jury and excutionor. 

     Because my favorite property is my D neighborhood property in the hood. It is the only house making more than double my mortgage payment. Highest cashflow of all of them too with the least risk Tenants were blown away at the work in that area of town. They have been wonderful tenants for two years and I did pop into the property last year it looked like the day they moved in.

     That's all good and well, it sounds like you probably screen your tennats great which itself should lower your chances of ever having a firefight with them. I personally say though that no amount of cashflow is worth the risk in a area where you don't feel safe and need to bring a weapon to feel safe. 

    I'm all for being allowed to own guns and if it makes you feel safe fine carry one. I'm just saying that being in a situation where carrying is nessecary or that your life is in danger can easily be avoided. That no amount of cashflow is worth risking your life. Also it can most certainly escalate a scenario that may not have been violent. 

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    I carried as a cop in DC for years when I did my fix and flips I carried during my quick stint as a wholeseller. I carry now concealed in Ga. and will continue to to all my rentals and fix and flips. 

    I also took my German shepherd when I use to visit my vacant properties. He's protective and can hear things farther then I can. 

    I believe its better to carry and not need it then to need it and not have it. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Renay Reese:

    I am an advocate of "its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it" I do know some people don't feel comfortable with open carry. I have heard the argument it is safer for some people to draw and protect themselves while open carry. Just wanted to get others opinion. 

    Whether you carry or not is subjective - there's no right or wrong. It depends on your area/situation/etc. I rarely carry, when I do it's often because I'm entering homes in questionable areas. 

    IMO, open carry is not a good idea (note: i'm in FL where open is not allowed, I'm from VA where it is) - my reasoning? Because if I'm a bad person looking to do wrong and you open carry, I am going to own your weapon.

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    @Renay Reese I dont do any because im not yet old enough to get my pistol permit so obviously I cant get my concealed carry but, when you open carry it tends to makes you look douchy. Myself and many other people dont see the need to be showing it off. Have it on you, but through your shirt over it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 125 votes
    7y

    @Renay Reese conceal carry and avoid the gun debate. "When seconds matter, police are only minutes away"

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    Well said @Jason D. that is the issue with carrying a gun. No matter how much target practice, you are never ready for show time. Even police who go through training have been known to shoot an unarmed person or kill a bystander. The reality is that gun is more likely to make the situation worse than better. Even someone seeing the gun could cause escalation that otherwise would not occur. Crazy people are not scared off by seeing a gun, they are enraged and empowered. Try shooting someone amped up on meth and see what really happens. I know a gun sounds good in theory, but there are safer ways to protect yourself. 

    Pepper spray is way more effective. Even if you aim wrong, it still works. You spray the wrong person, they still live. If someone manages to get the pepper spray out of your hand, it can't be used to kill you (unlike a gun). If someone sees you carrying pepper spray, they will not be threatened. If pepper spray goes off by accident, it doesn't leave a hole in you. You can bring pepper spray pretty much anywhere, so no need to leave it in the car when there is "no guns" signs. I went hiking in Yellowstone and guess what I brought to protect myself from bears (not a gun). 

    Whatever you all do, please be careful. 

    reality is no one but a trained marksman can hit anyone more than about 10 to 15 feet from them..  

  • Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Concealed carry, anytime and anywhere (where legal)

  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford. CT · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 54 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @George W.:
    Originally posted by @Philip Johnson:
    Originally posted by @George W.:

    Why would you even bother to rent to Tennant's or for that matter even own a building in a area if the only way you feel safe there is to carry? I wouldn't even consider buying a place if I didn't feel safe there.

    Don't get me wrong I think that the second amendment is great. People often overlook the 6th amendment though saying they can be judge jury and excutionor. 

     Because my favorite property is my D neighborhood property in the hood. It is the only house making more than double my mortgage payment. Highest cashflow of all of them too with the least risk Tenants were blown away at the work in that area of town. They have been wonderful tenants for two years and I did pop into the property last year it looked like the day they moved in.

     That's all good and well, it sounds like you probably screen your tennats great which itself should lower your chances of ever having a firefight with them. I personally say though that no amount of cashflow is worth the risk in a area where you don't feel safe and need to bring a weapon to feel safe. 

    I'm all for being allowed to own guns and if it makes you feel safe fine carry one. I'm just saying that being in a situation where carrying is nessecary or that your life is in danger can easily be avoided. That no amount of cashflow is worth risking your life. Also it can most certainly escalate a scenario that may not have been violent. 

     I would say that this line of work we are constantly putting our lives in danger. Rehabbing first of all there's a lot of toxic stuff involved. Sharp blades, Old lead paint, aspestos, list goes on. Bringing strangers into homes and paying them to work with occasional argument about finishing work. Now bringing strangers to show property to. Likely alone. Now dealing with thosands of of dollars in a deposit and first months rent. 

    This is a high risk job and I'm willing to do whatever it takes. 

    Also, crazy people are not just in warzones. A white privileged successful man could just as likely go postal. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    Open carry: might shy away buyers.

    Conceal carry: well, most situations with gun fire escalate to the point you can fire or find cover before you need to draw.

    I used to get called a "stoner" because a bunch of prepper shows said carry a lighter and i always had one at work.

    Guess who almost dehydrated and died next to 4 ponds soon after?

    I say do what you want.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    @Nathan G. Extremely solid advice. I got a steel on a Glock 19 because an officer found that P11's took half a second off of draw time.

    Half a second doesn't sound like much but it could mean survival.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    @Robert Higdon this is the single only reason I regretted getting the CCH on my CDL instead of a seperate card. 2am in the ghetto at a Quicktrip. For some reason they are IDing anyone with a debit card.

    "Hurrhurrhurr I have my concealed carry also."

    There were about 25 irritated people in there because the power kicked out and nobody left had cash.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    @Joe Splitrock i disagree. I actually believe the complete opposite because of several different life experiences.

    I just encourage EVERYONE to do their own research and think long and hard about every aspect of carrying or not.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    @Andre Debs YOU... I'm not even reading past this before i say what 27 other people will.

    MOTORCYCLE

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 658 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tobias Stoll:

    @Irina Belkofer

    Another thought you must really piss off you costumers I do not see any way or reason why would one would want to kill a realtor

    For a few bucks you carry around with you??

     Is your google not working?

    My "costumers" are fine, and I personally never have cash on me, we are not discussing my personal experiences here.

    The statistics shows that realtors get killed every now and then - NAR is warning.

    Concealed carry is for feeling safe in unsafe situations, not to show off that you're armed.

    If you read whole topic, you might get why rehab, wholesaling, working in distressed areas is more dangerous than sitting on your couch and trying to sound smart

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Philip Johnson:
    Originally posted by @George W.:
    Originally posted by @Philip Johnson:
    Originally posted by @George W.:

    Why would you even bother to rent to Tennant's or for that matter even own a building in a area if the only way you feel safe there is to carry? I wouldn't even consider buying a place if I didn't feel safe there.

    Don't get me wrong I think that the second amendment is great. People often overlook the 6th amendment though saying they can be judge jury and excutionor. 

     Because my favorite property is my D neighborhood property in the hood. It is the only house making more than double my mortgage payment. Highest cashflow of all of them too with the least risk Tenants were blown away at the work in that area of town. They have been wonderful tenants for two years and I did pop into the property last year it looked like the day they moved in.

     That's all good and well, it sounds like you probably screen your tennats great which itself should lower your chances of ever having a firefight with them. I personally say though that no amount of cashflow is worth the risk in a area where you don't feel safe and need to bring a weapon to feel safe. 

    I'm all for being allowed to own guns and if it makes you feel safe fine carry one. I'm just saying that being in a situation where carrying is nessecary or that your life is in danger can easily be avoided. That no amount of cashflow is worth risking your life. Also it can most certainly escalate a scenario that may not have been violent. 

     I would say that this line of work we are constantly putting our lives in danger. Rehabbing first of all there's a lot of toxic stuff involved. Sharp blades, Old lead paint, aspestos, list goes on. Bringing strangers into homes and paying them to work with occasional argument about finishing work. Now bringing strangers to show property to. Likely alone. Now dealing with thosands of of dollars in a deposit and first months rent. 

    This is a high risk job and I'm willing to do whatever it takes. 

    Also, crazy people are not just in warzones. A white privileged successful man could just as likely go postal. 

     You're absolutely right about it that it could be a dangerous Job if carrying makes you feel safer that's fine. I'm just saying that alot of risk can be limited by placing yourself in situations where it's generally safer.

    Anyone can go certainly go postal anywhere, but it's extremely rare and usually in places that are densely crowded and acutally it seems like alot of mass shootings have been white men so great point. 

    As far as handling money, it's just money. If someone was robbing me at gunpoint i'd much rather cooperate and give them whatever I had than try to escalate the situation and further risk death. To me a check for a few thousand dollars isn't worth risking my life over.

    Also if you get into a fight with a contractor that turns verbally violent in the slightest bit, that's poor people skills on ones side. I've never heard of case where a contractor got In a fight with a client and it escalated to a gun fight. Either way it's something that with basic people skills could be avoided. 

    I've had people at work get very angry before, Ill pack my stuff leave and discuss at a later time with them over phone and come back when they cool down. 

    Now every scenario is different but in the grand scheme of things most people related conflicts can be avoided. Most robbers are just looking for cash to get high. Most lunatics don't show signs they're about to snap and you don't see it coming.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.