• New to Real Estate
  • London, ON
Votes |
Variable vs Fixed rate Mortgage

Rami Sobhani
  • New to Real Estate
  • London, ON
Posted Dec 17 2022, 17:45

In Canada how can I determine what would be a better type mortgage a variable or fixed rate up to 5 years? What are you recommendations for different situations.

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Dec 17 2022, 17:53

If you plan to keep for a year go variable and lowest cost. If you plan to keep more than four years there is only a tiny shade different in payment  for a fixed rate loan.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Puente
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Dec 18 2022, 15:20

Hey Rami,

In this market, it would absolutely make sense to go Variable.  Rates "should" come down in the next 24 months, so as long as you plan to refi sooner rather than later, then you would be good.  

I have ran the math many times, and there really isn't any benefit to doing a 7yr ARM or 10yr ARM.

Great Question!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Frank Greg
  • Lender
  • rate.bid
Votes |
  • Lender
  • rate.bid
Replied Dec 19 2022, 20:36
@Rami Sobhani:

In Canada how can I determine what would be a better type mortgage a variable or fixed rate up to 5 years? What are you recommendations for different situations.

Either has its risk in the current environment.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Dec 19 2022, 21:50

@Rami Sobhani I feel the right thing to say here is "what are you prequalified for"?  Meaning, maybe you cannot even qualify for a variable interest rate because of X reason....or maybe you cannot even qualify for a fixed rate because of X reason.  There are lots of different loans out there.  Sometimes the property you are seeking might only qualify for a 15 year, adjustable rate mortgage.  So I think the right thing here is to seek out a lender that will help you with what you are trying to accomplish first. 

Hope all of that makes sense.

Guaranteed Rate Logo