Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt Smith
Votes |
Questions on first deal. Using a HELOC and hard money

Matt Smith
Posted Mar 24 2023, 16:40

I just purchased a property in Tampa today. Got it for 239k cash only deal. It can be used as a rental or an easy flip. Its a 3/2 1260sqft block home. ARV is 360k with estimated repairs being only cosmetic at 10k. Rental comps are between 1800-2200. Bounced it off a few investor friends and all said it was a great deal. The part I need help with is the financing. I'll be using my HELOC for the down payment and rehab budget. The HELOC is at 3% right now until June 1, then it jumps to prime rate. I'm using hard money to carry the remaining balance of the loan. The interest rate on the hard money is 11%. I'm not crazy about that rate. That puts me at roughly $1900/month payments on the hard money and 53k due at closing. Should I shop around and look for a better rate? What should I do? Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Paul Defngin
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rockville, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rockville, MD
Replied Mar 24 2023, 17:49
Quote from @Matt Smith:

I just purchased a property in Tampa today. Got it for 239k cash only deal. It can be used as a rental or an easy flip. Its a 3/2 1260sqft block home. ARV is 360k with estimated repairs being only cosmetic at 10k. Rental comps are between 1800-2200. Bounced it off a few investor friends and all said it was a great deal. The part I need help with is the financing. I'll be using my HELOC for the down payment and rehab budget. The HELOC is at 3% right now until June 1, then it jumps to prime rate. I'm using hard money to carry the remaining balance of the loan. The interest rate on the hard money is 11%. I'm not crazy about that rate. That puts me at roughly $1900/month payments on the hard money and 53k due at closing. Should I shop around and look for a better rate? What should I do? Thanks

I'm confused. You paid $239k cash on it but then you need HELOC for the down payment? Did you mean to say you paid cash of $239K, and now are using your HELOC and hard money to do the rehab?

Usually when I hear someone say that they paid cash for a property, I automatically think that the property was purchased with no liens against the property, meaning you paid CASH for the property, but maybe I am just confused.  

That said, if you did pay cash for the property and reading from what you wrote; you only need about $10k for cosmetic repairs, which seems pretty, pretty, good, if that is realistic, then I would say, ask someone in your network or SOI for the $10k that might be able to get a better rate on their money but less than 11%.  Although, I would say that 11% for hard money that you noted seems pretty good, but that's just my opinion. 

In any case, congratulations on the property and best of luck. 

Vellum Mortgage, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matt Smith
Votes |
Replied Mar 25 2023, 03:03
Quote from @Paul Defngin:
Quote from @Matt Smith:

I'm confused. You paid $239k cash on it but then you need HELOC for the down payment? Did you mean to say you paid cash of $239K, and now are using your HELOC and hard money to do the rehab?

Usually when I hear someone say that they paid cash for a property, I automatically think that the property was purchased with no liens against the property, meaning you paid CASH for the property, but maybe I am just confused.  

That said, if you did pay cash for the property and reading from what you wrote; you only need about $10k for cosmetic repairs, which seems pretty, pretty, good, if that is realistic, then I would say, ask someone in your network or SOI for the $10k that might be able to get a better rate on their money but less than 11%.  Although, I would say that 11% for hard money that you noted seems pretty good, but that's just my opinion. 

In any case, congratulations on the property and best of luck. 

The seller wanted a cash deal which would eliminate a conventional or DSCR loan. My HELOC is for 150k. I used it to cover the closing costs and repairs. Sorry I didnt make that clear originally. The hard money will be used for the purchase.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Quinton Oake
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Mar 27 2023, 08:32

Feel free to reach out on this. I would like an opportunity to see what I can do.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Mar 27 2023, 11:02
Quote from @Matt Smith:

@Matt Smith   To be clear, you have financing on this property. The hard money loan is just that a loan. It does matter from a refinancing point of view. But, the first thing you need to decide is do you want to keep as a rental or flip it. If you decide to flip, finish the work and get it on the market to sell without refinancing. The closing costs would not make a refi worth it. 

If you decide to keep it as a long term hold, again finish the work, then yes refi into permanent financing.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Mar 28 2023, 12:22

@Matt Smith- thanks   ...have you tried to  obtain  conventional financing for the  tampa rental ?   15% down is required - I am  sure the  rate and fees  are much lower than the hard money outlined