• Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
How often can you get a loan on investment property

Ralph Ace
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Apr 8 2023, 09:48

I bought a small one bedroom/one bath condo with tenant in suburbs of Chicago. 

All I have to do is collect the rent every month.  

I got a regular conventional 30 year fixed loan with 25% downpayment with 6.99% rate.

Can I purchase another condo with the same loan setup right away or need to wait x amount of time?

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 8 2023, 09:52

You're a real estate agent and don't know this?

It'll depend on your DTI, if you're buying in your name.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Apr 8 2023, 09:59

As long as you have the down payment and your debt to income ratio is okay (ie you have room to borrow more), you can buy another property whenever you want.  I've bought rentals a month apart.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Ace
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Apr 8 2023, 10:14
Quote from @V.G Jason:

Im new real estate agent.

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Apr 8 2023, 10:41

@Ralph Ace It depends on the type of loan and the lender.   generally you should not have an issue based on the fact you just got a loan.

The bigger issue will be if your finances otherwise qualify. The current loan will increase your debt to income ratio and that may keep you from getting another loan. A DSCR loan may alleviate that problem.

User Stats

Votes
Harjeet Bhatti
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554
Replied Apr 8 2023, 10:47

@Ralph Ace You can finance up to 10 properties under conventional loan. There is no waiting period required to finance property as long as you meet the DTI requirement.

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Apr 8 2023, 16:46
Quote from @Ralph Ace:

I got a regular conventional 30 year fixed loan with 25% downpayment with 6.99% rate.

Can I purchase another condo with the same loan setup right away or need to wait x amount of time?

Hey Ralph,

Sounds like you need to start utilizing DSCR loans if you are looking to monetize your investment portfolio. Please PM directly if you would like learn more

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 8 2023, 18:32
Quote from @V.G Jason:

DTI actually also doesn't matter even with convo as long in practicality the appraisal DSCR is greater than 1.3 , there's convo lender that could accept buy 10 even at the same time while your DTI is static, of course, reserve requirement is there.
It's possible when the lender is using the property's mortgage for their own cash-flow.

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 9 2023, 07:17
Quote from @Ralph Ace:

The speed on getting another conventional loan is, like some of the other commentators have said, based on your overall DTI and then eventually on conventional caps for investment properties (10 at most). However, if you still qualify this is typically the best route. My general advice is that when you are ready to start "scaling" your portfolio, i.e. about 5 or so properties, then switching to DSCR Loans (which don't take into account limits or DTI) makes the most sense, but that can be earlier if you cap out or don't qualify for conventional or it takes too long (can happen if you are not W-2 and full time real estate agent for example)

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 9 2023, 10:48
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
Quote from @V.G Jason:

DTI actually also doesn't matter even with convo as long in practicality the appraisal DSCR is greater than 1.3 , there's convo lender that could accept buy 10 even at the same time while your DTI is static, of course, reserve requirement is there.
It's possible when the lender is using the property's mortgage for their own cash-flow.

You're saying greater than 1.3, because the initial rent is captured at 75% until you claim taxes?

You can always buy provided your DTI is fair, and reserves are met up to 10(I believe). They require 6 months, I say 6 months + 1 capex + 4 month lease time(likely 2-3 mo lease time + 1mo PM fee). Don't think many here follow that and are going to be hamstrung at the first sign of issues, and get into HELOC mode. But lending will cramp on HELOCs for investments, if they haven't already. People live in the 2008-2022 free money mode, they'll learn the hard way.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 9 2023, 10:54
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
Quote from @V.G Jason:

You're saying greater than 1.3, because the initial rent is captured at 75% until you claim taxes?

You can always buy provided your DTI is fair, and reserves are met up to 10(I believe). They require 6 months, I say 6 months + 1 capex + 4 month lease time(likely 2-3 mo lease time + 1mo PM fee). Don't think many here follow that and are going to be hamstrung at the first sign of issues, and get into HELOC mode. But lending will cramp on HELOCs for investments, if they haven't already. People live in the 2008-2022 free money mode, they'll learn the hard way.

No, there is bank that can use convo loan based on 90% of appraisal rent expectations, so if it cash flow positive DTI doesn't matter much really because all rental income could pay PITI.

of course their rate is higher but much lower than DsCr lender

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Apr 9 2023, 15:45

It was the reserve requirements that got me, rather than DTI. I went to DSCR and haven't looked back.