Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Ace
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
I had closing on April 11th and 1st payment not due to June 1st

Ralph Ace
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Posted

I had closing on April 11th and 1st payment not due to June 1st.

Is there a reason I need to wait over 1 month and 2 weeks to make my first mortgage payment.

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied

@Ralph Ace This normal. Payments are made at the first of the month for the Previous month interest/princ. Your June 1st payment is for May. You prepaid April’s partial month interest at closing. 

User Stats

Votes
Sloane Kraftsow
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Replied
Quote from @Ralph Ace:

I had closing on April 11th and 1st payment not due to June 1st.

Is there a reason I need to wait over 1 month and 2 weeks to make my first mortgage payment.

Thank you

Hi Ralph! The reason you have to wait over 1 month and two weeks to make your first mortgage payment is because the payments for mortgages are accrued and the first fixed payment can only be made when a full prior month has accrued.  I.e. June 1st will cover the period between May 1 and May 31, and first full payment can't be May 1st because you didn't accrue any interest owed for the first 10 days of April. Due to the fact that you closed on April 11th and not the 1st of the month, the daily portion of rent for each day after the 11th is added up with interest and you probably paid this during closing. I would check your settlement statement, usually it would be called "stub interest" or "prepaid interest."

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied

You've paid the interest up until the payment date already (at closing). If you want to pay something in the interim, don't make a payment - make a principal reduction.  If you were to make a payment, the amount would be applied as principal and interest versus having the whole amount applied directly to reducing what you owe which is done with a principal reduction.  Your lender will have instructions online how to make a that principal payment.

Hope this helps...

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#2 Starting Out Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

Print out an amortization table. You are more than free to make a payment early. You could cut a few months off your loan. (Your early payment divided by The number of principle portion(s) of first payments.)

User Stats

Votes
David Taylor
  • Lender
  • Irvine, Ca
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Irvine, Ca
Replied

Mortgage payments are paid in the arrears. You most likely paid per diem interest from April 12-April 30, leaving interest for May, your first full month due on June1. Hope that helped.