Votes
Bailey Fait
Pro Member
Votes |
Down Payment Lending or 75% LTV full purchase

Bailey Fait
Pro Member
Posted May 6 2024, 12:26

Looking for options to assist with a home purchase. Approved for the max allowable conventional loan, but looking for ways to fund the DP. The scenario is for a home listed at 1,095,000 with the ARV being at or around 1.4-1.5. Given the PP is 75-80% of the ARV, are there lending options to fund the full purchase? Would that only be a HML? Or would the better of the options be to secure private money at $50k for 3-6 months to fund the DP?

I was close, but not close enough to fund the down payment. The reno to get to the ARV was simple, but I had budgeted $70k conservatively. I would be performing the work myself and essentially doing a BRRR on the home. Plan for funding the reno was through my W2, cash I didn't use on the down payment and a business CC with 1 year zero interest.

Thanks for reading! First time trying to purchase a home without funding myself. (401k loan N/A, HELOC on investment prop N/A)

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Jake Andronico#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied May 6 2024, 14:34

@Bailey Fait

I have a lender that will do a small HELOC on an investment property. I just shot you a PM.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Zamboroski
  • Lender
Votes |
Quote from @Bailey Fait:

Looking for options to assist with a home purchase. Approved for the max allowable conventional loan, but looking for ways to fund the DP. The scenario is for a home listed at 1,095,000 with the ARV being at or around 1.4-1.5. Given the PP is 75-80% of the ARV, are there lending options to fund the full purchase? Would that only be a HML? Or would the better of the options be to secure private money at $50k for 3-6 months to fund the DP?

I was close, but not close enough to fund the down payment. The reno to get to the ARV was simple, but I had budgeted $70k conservatively. I would be performing the work myself and essentially doing a BRRR on the home. Plan for funding the reno was through my W2, cash I didn't use on the down payment and a business CC with 1 year zero interest.

Thanks for reading! First time trying to purchase a home without funding myself. (401k loan N/A, HELOC on investment prop N/A)

It sounds like a fix and flip loan may work here based on your reference to an ARV. Less downpayment usually and rehab covered through draws. It could be a good way to get it done with less money down.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith#4 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Doug Smith#4 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 7 2024, 12:22

Most lenders, including us, will do the lesser of the purchase price ($1.095M here) or the appraised value as the amount used to calculate the LTV. After 6-12 months, depending upon the program, you can refinance it if you wish and use the appraised value. Most institutional lenders are going to look a it like that. Also, lenders typically don't like to see borrowed down payment funds.