Question about HELOCs

Question about HELOCs

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 8 votes

Hello! I am interested in opening a HELOC to tap into the equity of my house without changing my current interest rate on my mortgage. I have been shopping lenders for a few days and they offer varying numbers for max allowable credit and interest rate. I can't decide which is more important between the two. For example (these are hypothetical), one lender will give me a credit line of $100,000 at a 6.5% interest rate, but another lender will give me $150,000 at an 8% interest rate. I don't have a particular investment in mind yet, but just want to get the credit line open. What do you think? Thanks!

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Zachary Blomberg:

    Hello! I am interested in opening a HELOC to tap into the equity of my house without changing my current interest rate on my mortgage. I have been shopping lenders for a few days and they offer varying numbers for max allowable credit and interest rate. I can't decide which is more important between the two. For example (these are hypothetical), one lender will give me a credit line of $100,000 at a 6.5% interest rate, but another lender will give me $150,000 at an 8% interest rate. I don't have a particular investment in mind yet, but just want to get the credit line open. What do you think? Thanks!


    For BRRR I'd take the $150. Access to the capital is often more important than a couple % on the rate.

    Chances are though, the higher rate loan also has higher closing costs and maintenance fees. 

    Tell us about origination costs (like full appraisal vs desktop) and maintenance fees for each. 

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Steve Vaughan:
    Quote from @Zachary Blomberg:

    Hello! I am interested in opening a HELOC to tap into the equity of my house without changing my current interest rate on my mortgage. I have been shopping lenders for a few days and they offer varying numbers for max allowable credit and interest rate. I can't decide which is more important between the two. For example (these are hypothetical), one lender will give me a credit line of $100,000 at a 6.5% interest rate, but another lender will give me $150,000 at an 8% interest rate. I don't have a particular investment in mind yet, but just want to get the credit line open. What do you think? Thanks!


    For BRRR I'd take the $150. Access to the capital is often more important than a couple % on the rate.

    Chances are though, the higher rate loan also has higher closing costs and maintenance fees. 

    Tell us about origination costs (like full appraisal vs desktop) and maintenance fees for each. 

    Ok good to know. Each option has no closing costs as long as I don’t close the line within 3 years. No appraisal fee either. They each have an annual fee that is insignificant ($50 vs $75 annually).

  • Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
    4y

    Access to money is more important than the cost of money. But it depends on the impact to the cashflow of your deal. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.