Amy Turnbull
  • Dalton, MA
Votes |
Freddie Mac ADU Loan

Amy Turnbull
  • Dalton, MA
Posted Mar 4 2023, 13:58

Hi, Forum People

I am trying to finance an ADU on my property and am hitting a wall. However, I just discovered Freddie Mac has updated their qualifying criteria to include ADU rent. This is HUGE! Has anyone taken advantage of this loan to build an ADU? I would love to hear your story! I'm posting the link to the Freddie Mac updates here: https://sf.freddiemac.com/arti...

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Mar 4 2023, 16:37

Amy,

Freddie Mac & Fannie Mae do not finance just an ADU standalone by itself. They will finance the home if it has a ADU on the property as a purchase or a refinance. An ADU is a detached living space like a mother in law suite. You can however take out a HELOC or do a cash out refinance on the property in which you would like to have it built. Another words you will need a line of credit or use one of your properties to take cash out through a refinance to get the cash needed for the build or for it to be moved onsite.

User Stats

Votes
John Clarken
  • Contractor
  • Oregon
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Oregon
Replied Mar 6 2023, 15:12

Hi Amy, the other option is to get a construction to perm loan. Get a couple quotes from GCs and then take the budget to a bank for approval. 

I'm in the process of permitting a ADU, but doing a personal loan and running the management as an owner builder for less restrictions. I have a construction background so I'm familiar with the process.

You could also use a hard money loan with the plan to refinance out after the build. 

Please update with which route you take and follow up if you have any construction related questions!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes