Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Annushka Alicea
Votes |
Where to obtain a Heloc/advice

Annushka Alicea
Posted Mar 29 2023, 06:00

Hi Everyone. I am looking for some advice on how to obtain a Heloc on my primary single family home. My morgage was in forbearance but I have paid off and brought it current. My credit score is 600-605 range but I am working to remove a a few late payments from my credit report and that should help it shoot up in the next few months or so. My credit card usage is about 85 percent usage but the equity in my home is about 200k to 300k. Can you advice me how to get a Heloc? Where to apply with such high credit usage? I would like to use some of the heloc to consolidate my debts which is about 50k or so. What are my best option? I am also considering a equity line of credit. Thank you for your help in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Larry Turowski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Mar 29 2023, 14:05

@Annushka Alicea just about every bank offers HELOCs on your primary residence. Start with the the bank you are using right now. Call around. Your debt and credit score may be issues but it can’t hurt to start asking. 

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 30 2023, 12:13

Hey @Annushka Alicea - you may be better off working on repairing your credit first before pulling money out of your home (which it sounds like you want to do to consolidate your debt which is bringing your credit down). It's a catch-22. You may possible be interested in a sale-leaseback option but those are unique and require you to sell your home. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Annushka Alicea
Votes |
Replied Mar 30 2023, 15:29
Quote from @Mohammed Rahman:

Hey @Annushka Alicea - you may be better off working on repairing your credit first before pulling money out of your home (which it sounds like you want to do to consolidate your debt which is bringing your credit down). It's a catch-22. You may possible be interested in a sale-leaseback option but those are unique and require you to sell your home. 

Yeah I'm definitely not planning on selling. I will keep working on my credit. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Annushka Alicea
Votes |
Replied Mar 30 2023, 15:30
Quote from @Larry Turowski:

@Annushka Alicea just about every bank offers HELOCs on your primary residence. Start with the the bank you are using right now. Call around. Your debt and credit score may be issues but it can’t hurt to start asking. 

Thank you. I'll so that 🙂