Pro Member
  • Delano, mn
Votes |
off market, seller finance paperwork?

Dan Pryde
Pro Member
  • Delano, mn
Posted Apr 27 2023, 03:48

I have an off market duplex that I just looked at and the seller is willing to do seller financing.

Now what? Do I need to find an attorney to get a contract made up for me? Do I just Type up my offer/terms on a blank Word document?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 27 2023, 04:10

@Dan Pryde

Do not do this yourself

Get an attorney or title company to do this for you

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Paulk
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Apr 27 2023, 05:22

@Dan Pryde

I would start by reaching out to a few title companies in the area.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Chris Davidson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied Apr 27 2023, 22:02

@Dan Pryde reach out to who ever is going to handle closing. Either title or an attorney will and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Also some of these have long term escrow departments and they can assist with handling of funds.

Way to make it happen!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Schemmel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Apr 28 2023, 07:54
Quote from @Dan Pryde:

I have an off market duplex that I just looked at and the seller is willing to do seller financing.

Now what? Do I need to find an attorney to get a contract made up for me? Do I just Type up my offer/terms on a blank Word document?

@Dan Pryde get an attorney to both write it up and counsel you on how to protect yourself.  Talk through, in detail, what amortization, interest rate and what portion of the payment made to the seller goes towards principal pay down vs. interest.   Balloon payment term matters a lot, and you may consider writing in something to protect yourself if the rates are above a certain threshold to allow you to extend the contract should they go too high for comfort when balloon payment is due.  I also recommend discussing re-finance strategy with a good lender who knows investments BEFORE you write the contract so you're aware of your exit strategy before you're locked in.  Hope this helps.

• Real Estate Agent Minnesota (#40733743)

Jeff Schemmel - Brix Real Estate Logo