Votes
Jaron Chaplin
  • Oak Bluffs, MA
Votes |
HELOV vs. Home Equity Loan

Jaron Chaplin
  • Oak Bluffs, MA
Posted May 25 2023, 08:46

When considering the acquisition of a second property by leveraging the equity in an existing property, which option would be more advantageous, obtaining a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) or a traditional home equity loan?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 25 2023, 10:02

@Jaron Chaplin is the current property your primary home or an investment property?

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Chaplin
  • Oak Bluffs, MA
Votes |
  • Oak Bluffs, MA
Replied May 25 2023, 10:35

It is my primary residence. Should it be beneficial; I am open to relocating to the new property (as a primary residence) in exchange for a lower downpayment.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Denzell Hawkins
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 25 2023, 13:05

@Jaron Chaplin depends on the amount capital you need vs LTV. With a Heloc you only pay on what you've drawn. If you plan on using most of it, maybe the loan is worth it.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Eddinger
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Meriden, CT
Replied May 26 2023, 04:11

I always do a HELOC over home equity loan. The benefit is that you can continue to turn the money over again and again and again. I would buy a property in cash using HELOC, renovate it and then cash out refinance (getting all the money back) and pay down the HELOC to zero and then rinse and repeat. In this way I didn't need hard money or anything else.

I currently have just a HELOC on my primary residence and I used that to purchase 3 flips that my partner and I have finished up. He paid me hard money for the use of my HELOC.

Finally if you have a good W2 or other income source coming in, you pay it down which gives you the dry powder to be nimble to act quickly to buy again.  Happy to discuss this further.  If desired, DM me.

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied May 26 2023, 04:19

@Jaron Chaplin Either one will work fine depending on what you plan to do with it. If you are planning fix and flips, probably better off with HELOC. If you are going to buy and hold for a very long time, it may be worth the HEL depending on rates etc.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied May 26 2023, 05:07

HELOC is the better, less stressful and cheaper option 95% of the time.

The only situation in which a equity loan is better is when you already have a specific use for those funds and you know the returns are acceptable. 

You don't want to pay interest on that money with no plan in mind and no experience as an investor. That's a very expensive and stressful way to lose sleep.