Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Scott Bremer
Votes |
Title Issue on Tax Foreclosure Discovered During Refinance

Scott Bremer
Posted May 16 2022, 09:24

Hi all. I purchased a house at a County Tax Foreclosure auction in 2019, fixed it out, now a rental. Attempting to refinance, the title search company found an issue: they don't feel that the County I purchased the property from adequately informed the previous owners, who had abandoned the house, what was going on. They say I can either do a a) Quiet title action or b) Get the prior owner to sign on the line that is dotted. I'm worried that they'll sue to get the house back. 

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions for a way forward? 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied May 16 2022, 10:53

@Scott Bremer, I believe this is a common issue. I think it would be uncommon for someone to try to get their house back. So, if the previous owners are easy to find its worth a try, even if you have to pay them a few bucks to get them to show up and sign.

I have gone the quiet title route and it isn't overly expensive but it does take a few to several months to complete. Get a quote from your real estate attorney. They will probably quote you their fee and then there will be the actual costs such as court costs and costs to advertise the quiet title etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Bremer
Votes |
Replied May 16 2022, 16:08

@Kevin Sobilo Thank you for your reassurance. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements