• Vancouver, BC
Votes |
Canadian resident investing in the U.S market

Jason Park
  • New to Real Estate
  • Vancouver, BC
Posted Feb 2 2023, 11:09

Hello guys, hope you've been well. 

I've been reading up on investing in the US as a Canadian, and the general consensus seems to suggest that I need to first have a proper set up before diving into the US market. I'm learning about the importance of having a good CPA who understands cross-border investing.

As such, if you know someone, I would love to get a referral from you guys or get directed to resources where I can look one up myself (done a bit of google search but haven't been successful. Maybe chatGPT will help? lol).

Thanks in advance!

Jason

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 2 2023, 11:14

@Jason Park

We have partners who are foreign investors. DM me and I will send you contacts for; attorneys, lenders and accountants that they have previously used. It is important that you hire professionals that have experience working with foreign investors.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 2 2023, 11:14
Quote from @Jason Park:

Hello guys, hope you've been well. 

I've been reading up on investing in the US as a Canadian, and the general consensus seems to suggest that I need to first have a proper set up before diving into the US market. I'm learning about the importance of having a good CPA who understands cross-border investing.

As such, if you know someone, I would love to get a referral from you guys or get directed to resources where I can look one up myself (done a bit of google search but haven't been successful. Maybe chatGPT will help? lol).

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Hi Jason, 

I think that depends on where you want to invest. If you are interested in the Ohio markets I have one I can share with you. I recommend you read this article on OOS investing. This explains who you need on your bus! You will need to get a local, Realtor, contractor, lender, and property manager. All the pieces to making a successful business.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Linda Labbe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Replied Feb 6 2023, 12:14

We live in Canada and invest in the US more then wiling to share contacts and info with anyone who wants to chat

User Stats

Votes
Tamara Benyamini
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied Feb 6 2023, 19:17

Hi @Jason Park,

I strongly recommend you contact Michal Liviatan from Lendai, who has several contacts and vast knowledge on this specific subject. She can also direct you to a webinar on the subject.

Michal Liviatan Carpenter | BiggerPockets
Best of luck!
Tami

User Stats

Votes
Janie G.
  • Real Estate Coach
  • OH MI, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • OH MI, FL
Replied Mar 14 2023, 11:09

Absolutely. Setting your foundation correctly from the start is extremely important both with a cross-border lawyer and a cross-border accountant. The US may be a very similar country to Canada but it’s also very different. Best to get started the right way.