• San Diego
Votes |
Cost Segregation (San Diego, CA)

Jon Ful
  • Investor
  • San Diego
Posted Mar 8 2023, 23:25

Hi Friends, 

-Any recommendations for a reputable Cost Seg company servicing San Diego, CA?

-Please share a link and/or pricing to check them out!

Thank you,

Jon

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Mar 9 2023, 05:39

@Yonah Weiss can help you. He is great. 

User Stats

Votes
Keegan Wetzel
  • Realtor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 9 2023, 10:07

I am in the market for a great Cost Seg company as well!

IntellCRE logo
IntellCRE
|
Sponsored
Supercharge Your Multifamily Investing with AI Source, screen, evaluate, underwrite, and act on hundreds of deals with data and confidence!

User Stats

Votes
Christian Ballow
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Mar 10 2023, 06:41

@Jon Ful I used diycostseg.com last year for two of my cost seg studies. They were reasonably priced and quick. I'm sure they aren't advisable on larger projects but depending on the project size and complexity, they worked great for me. ~$650 for the study. I did a SFH & duplex

User Stats

Votes
Twana Rasoul
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 10 2023, 17:19

@Jon Ful I'm happy to recommend some contacts if you are interested...I've tried and reached out to several cost seg companies for properties here in San Diego.  There are lots of things to consider before choosing one.  I've found that cost segregation companies don't always do a great job and will miss  things even though it is something they specialize in. 

You have to ask lots of questions and make sure you have some level of understanding about cost segregation and not relying 100% on someone else, even though that is what you are paying them for.  

For instance, I've reached out to cost segregation companies in San Diego that will base land vs building value on whatever split the tax assessors report shows which many times can be around a 50/50 split. 

Based on the value of a property you can likely get away with a inexpensive desk top study such as condos and you will require a more comprehensive engineering study for larger properties like a 4plex.

• Real Estate Agent California (#02026495)

Compass Logo

User Stats

Votes
Keegan Wetzel
  • Realtor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 10 2023, 17:28
Quote from @Twana Rasoul:

@Jon Ful I'm happy to recommend some contacts if you are interested...I've tried and reached out to several cost seg companies for properties here in San Diego.  There are lots of things to consider before choosing one.  I've found that cost segregation companies don't always do a great job and will miss  things even though it is something they specialize in. 

You have to ask lots of questions and make sure you have some level of understanding about cost segregation and not relying 100% on someone else, even though that is what you are paying them for.  

For instance, I've reached out to cost segregation companies in San Diego that will base land vs building value on whatever split the tax assessors report shows which many times can be around a 50/50 split. 

Based on the value of a property you can likely get away with a inexpensive desk top study such as condos and you will require a more comprehensive engineering study for larger properties like a 4plex.

@Twana Rasoul - that advice makes me a bit nervous.  The IRS has said, since 2017, that the improvement ratio or $ value is what your taxes are assessed as, unless you have a really compelling reason to use a different value.  I think using a value outside of that is going to be tough to defend if you are doing a cost seg, which already attracts quite a few audits.  That's my 2 cents!