Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Drew Nagda
  • Investor
  • Upland, CA
Votes |
Real Estate Lawyer - Title Question

Drew Nagda
  • Investor
  • Upland, CA
Posted Dec 2 2016, 16:20

We currently have a house under contract with a motivated seller. I added a clause saying we will purchase the house contingent on a marketable title. However, the title was transferred to a family friend to avoid a $5000 lien about 7 years ago. Problem: the owner hasn't been able to track that individual down in 5+ years. The owner has been making all the payments on the loan (insured with the bank), and there's a more than 60% to pay on the loan still. 

We spoke to the bank and we are able to assume the loan. We plan on using this house as a rental, so have a flexibility on time to get the title straightened. The homeowner's main worry is to be able to pay the next 2 mortgage payments before he moves out of the country. I also wrote that I would give him a $5000 earnest money deposit 1 week from the contract signing date to be used towards those payments. 

Has anyone dealt with something similar / is it worth pursuing with the courts and lawyer? 

Numbers: Purchase @ $290k

Repairs: $25k 

ARV: $400k

Would this be a situation where I could use a quiet deed transfer? Any help would be appreciated!

Loading replies...