Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 1 vote
I bought a property many years ago which has three floors where first floor is used as law office but has a kitchen and bathroom, second floor is a one bedroom apartment, and third floor also has an bathroom and small kitchen which can also be used as another apartment.
The property is located in CMX4, it only has one rental license for one unit. I can either apply for change of use as multi 3 units (by right) but sprinkler system needed to be installed. My question is if I apply for change of use as duplex for second and third floors and commercial space on first floor then is fire sprinkler required? No construction is needed with current layout. If anyone has any knowledge or advice is greatly appreciated. TIA
Investor · Philadelphia · Member since 2023 · 104 posts · 46 votes
2y
New residential buildings with three or more units must include sprinkler systems. Additionally, one and two-family homes constructed after 2011 are mandated to have sprinklers, except for detached homes and twin homes that are attached on only one side.
I would refer to phila.gov to read through all of the stipulations, and fire code requirements for you prospective property.