• Investor
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
HOLY SMOKES! I Owed $47K In Taxes!

Dan Gandee
  • Investor
  • Eugene, OR
Posted May 2 2023, 17:26

PHONE RINGS...My wife who does our real estate brokerage accounting and investment business bookkeeping just called me to say we owe $47K in taxes...{heart stops}.

BUT I didn't blink an eye because I understand the true tax advantages of this professional - So let me kick it off for the newbies...

When it comes to investing in real estate, there are several perks of tax shelter that investors should be aware of. A tax shelter is a legal way to reduce the amount of taxes paid on investment income, and it can be a valuable tool for real estate investors. Here are some of the benefits of tax shelter with investment property.

1. Depreciation: One of the most significant tax benefits of owning an investment property is depreciation. Depreciation is the reduction in value of an asset over time, and it can be used to offset rental income for tax purposes. By depreciating their property over a period of 27.5 years, investors can reduce their taxable rental income and increase their cash flow.
  2. Deductible Expenses: Investment property owners can deduct a range of expenses from their rental income, including property taxes, mortgage interest, insurance, repairs, and maintenance. These deductions can help reduce the taxable rental income and increase the overall profitability of the investment.
  3. Capital Gains Exclusion: When an investment property is sold, any capital gains are subject to taxation. However, investors can take advantage of a capital gains exclusion by living in the property for at least two of the five years prior to the sale. This exclusion allows investors to exclude up to $250,000 in capital gains ($500,000 for married couples) from their taxable income.
  4. 1031 Exchange: Another tax benefit of investment property is the 1031 exchange. This allows investors to defer capital gains taxes on the sale of one investment property by exchanging it for another investment property of equal or greater value. This can be a valuable tool for investors looking to upgrade their investment properties or diversify their real estate portfolio.
  5. Self-Directed IRA: Investors can also use a self-directed IRA to invest in real estate. This allows them to defer taxes on rental income and capital gains until retirement, and it can be a great way to build wealth and secure a steady stream of income in retirement.

In conclusion, the perks of tax shelter with investment property are numerous, and they can help investors reduce their tax burden and increase their overall profitability. Depreciation, deductible expenses, capital gains exclusion, 1031 exchange, and self-directed IRAs are just a few of the tax benefits available to real estate investors. By taking advantage of these tax shelters, investors can maximize their return on investment and build long-term wealth through real estate.

BOTTOM LINE: Talk to a licensed CPA who can tell you what to do to save the most money possible!

• Broker Oregon (#MSD1092) and Oregon (#201235300)

The Operative Group | ΓEA⅃ Broker Logo

User Stats

Votes
Marc Howard
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied May 3 2023, 05:54

Hey Dan! Heart stopping moment indeed. Yep, you got it right my man. Real estate investing does come with some sweet tax perks. You've listed some great ones like depreciation, deductible expenses, capital gains exclusion, 1031 exchanges, and self-directed IRAs. It's awesome that you're sharing this knowledge with the newbies!

So basically, in a nutshell, having a CPA on your team can really help you maximize these tax benefits and save you some big bucks! I'm curious, though, have you ever done a 1031 exchange or used a self-directed IRA for your investments? Lmk your experience with those, always good to hear how others are using these tools!