• New Jersey
Votes |
New Investor Looking into Evansville

Mike Dolan
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Jersey
Posted Jun 8 2022, 12:59

Hi BP - I'm an out of state investor looking to get into the Evansville, IN market. My criteria is buy & hold rental properties, 2/3 BR SFH or small multi-family (2-6 units) under $200K. I've been working with a local real estate agent, have a property management company lined up, and reading through forums to get a better understanding of the market. My RE agent says that 47714 is probably the best area as far as tenant class and location due to it being close to the university. Wanted to see if anyone had any insight on other areas I should be looking. Also, would love to connect with any investors in the area to learn more about your experience and what to expect.

User Stats

Votes
Casey McCoy
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Evansville, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Evansville, IN
Replied Jun 9 2022, 03:01

That is definitely some promising steps! One thing I would ask is what kind of return are you looking for or how are you evaluating properties to determine if they’re a right fit for you? 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jun 9 2022, 05:20

@Mike Dolan

You might want to follow the "Deep Dive" series we're doing on our BiggerPockets blog about Metro Detroit cities, City of Detroit Neighborhoods and comparing Metro Detroit to other hotspots investors usually consider:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dolan
Pro Member
  • New Jersey
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New Jersey
Replied Jun 9 2022, 05:34
Quote from @Casey McCoy:

That is definitely some promising steps! One thing I would ask is what kind of return are you looking for or how are you evaluating properties to determine if they’re a right fit for you? 

Thanks Casey! Right now I'm looking mostly at cash flow as my main criteria, ~8% CoC. It's been tough to find properties that can fit that unless I rehab a property, but I'm not sure I want to take on a full rehab project for my first deal. I've been looking at properties that have been sitting on the market longer than 30 days to submit a lower offer, and I'm fine with doing a cosmetic rehab.

User Stats

Votes
David Lambert
Votes |
Replied Jun 9 2022, 05:54

Hey Mike! I am very familiar with this area! I am not an agent though. I would look into the NE side of Evansville(47715) as well as the nearby town of Newburgh(47630). I think both these areas have much greater long term potential than 47714. Both of these areas are experiencing tremendous growth and development. 

47714 has some benefits: UE has some foreign students who need housing, it also has some cheaper inventory and is more likely to have some rehab opportunities. IMO it has some pretty significant drawbacks. UE is declining and has been for years. I would not trust in its draw for a property that you are planning to hold for a long period of time. A lot of the neighborhoods in this zip code, particularly the southern portion, have serious crime issues. The problem has been getting worse for several years and the PD seem incapable of implementing a plan that will address it. Prepare yourself for the potential of tenant issues in this area which may be a challenge if you are out of state. 

Im sure a talented agent will be able to find you a deal that pencils out well in any of these areas. I just wanted to mention some things to consider. 

User Stats

Votes
Jasmin Street
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Evansville, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Evansville, IN
Replied Jun 12 2022, 16:15

Hi Mike! 47714 is a promising area. It's where my house hack is located :) It only took me two weeks to get three qualified applicants and select one who has been a great tenant so far. I'll echo what David has stated in regards to crime as I do hear of violent crimes in the area. Fortunately, my neighborhood hasn't been impacted in quite some time. Look forward to connecting and chatting more!

User Stats

Votes
Aeknoor C.
  • Newburgh, IN
Votes |
  • Newburgh, IN
Replied Jun 28 2022, 11:43

Did you end up finding a place? I have a house, a duplex and a fiveplex in the area that we are looking to sell. Happy to connect if you are interested. 

User Stats

Votes
Ben Vidovich
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied Aug 1 2022, 19:25

Hi @Mike Dolan and all

Did you end up making any moves in Evansville? I’m also interested in the area and am curious to hear how things went. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Stephens
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 9 2022, 06:13
Quote from @David Lambert:

Hey Mike! I am very familiar with this area! I am not an agent though. I would look into the NE side of Evansville(47715) as well as the nearby town of Newburgh(47630). I think both these areas have much greater long term potential than 47714. Both of these areas are experiencing tremendous growth and development. 

47714 has some benefits: UE has some foreign students who need housing, it also has some cheaper inventory and is more likely to have some rehab opportunities. IMO it has some pretty significant drawbacks. UE is declining and has been for years. I would not trust in its draw for a property that you are planning to hold for a long period of time. A lot of the neighborhoods in this zip code, particularly the southern portion, have serious crime issues. The problem has been getting worse for several years and the PD seem incapable of implementing a plan that will address it. Prepare yourself for the potential of tenant issues in this area which may be a challenge if you are out of state. 

Im sure a talented agent will be able to find you a deal that pencils out well in any of these areas. I just wanted to mention some things to consider. 

Hi Mike, I agree with David. Newburgh is the growing suburb on east side of Evansville. Area will continue to grow and also has great school system. I myself am looking for flippers in that some market so if you know anyone interested let me know!