User Stats

Votes
Dave Mills
Votes |
Tenant wants girlfriend removed from lease

Dave Mills
Posted Aug 7 2022, 19:03

Good Evening All, 

I am in another sticky situation, my tenant wants girlfriend removed from the lease and this the second month of their year lease. 

They both call me and gave me insights of their situation, they both want to stay in the house, and here is what I got from the conversations.

Girlfriend(nurse) is making a lot more money and she wants to stay. 

Girlfriend says that boyfriend won't be able to make the monthly payments, but he wants her to leave. Last week he told her that he is leaving and this week he changed his mind and wanted to stay. It sounds like he is trying to force her hand, and Girlfriend asked me if there is anything I can do. 

Boyfriend wants to bring a roommate. 

I told them that they both signed the lease so they are both reliable. And also suggested that they can hash it out between each other and let me know who would be staying. So I guess, I can remove one of them from the lease, do I have a choice who can stay? 

Since I can raise the rent for at least another $300, Will it be better to cancel the whole contract and let them both go? 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 8 2022, 05:27
Quote from @Dave Mills:

Why did you sign a lease two months ago for $300 below market?

You don't want to be involved in their drama, so it's best to terminate the lease and get them both out. The boyfriend could get a roommate and make it affordable, but that means you have to screen another person, add them to the lease, and possibly handle more drama down the road.

Tell them they rented together, so they have to break the lease together. No penalty, just get them out by the end of August. Charge market rent and find a new renter.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dave Mills
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2022, 12:30

They are always on time and low maintenance tenants, so I did not want to raise to rates too steep. 

Looks like this is a great opportunity to rent market value. 

Thanks for your advice

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes