Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Malachi P.
Votes |
Movers damaged property when tenant moved in. Contractor messed up repair. Now what?

Malachi P.
Posted Feb 28 2023, 16:34

As the title says, the moving company damaged some flooring when my tenant moved in. I hired the contractor for the repair because that seemed to be the best way to ensure things are repaired to my standards, and using the same material.

Turns out, the flooring manufacturing company discontinued the parts that were damaged, and replaced it with a similar, but different fitting part. Because of this, the contractor installed the new part incorrectly and it now needs to be redone (increased repair cost because additional material/labor hours are needed).

No one has paid anyone yet. Logically, the moving company pays the tenant, the tenant pays me, and I pay the contractor. But now that the contractor has also messed up, what happens?.. Should the increased cost go to the moving company as this is their fault to begin with? Estimate initially given to the movers was about $550, it will now be about $850.

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 28 2023, 19:08

Tenant is liable to you. Doesn't matter what movers are willing to pay. That is between tenant and movers.

If contractor installed the wrong part and messed up, they need to fix it at no additional cost. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Feb 28 2023, 19:47

Aloha,

You should have let the mover's insurance handle the repair directly. Now, since it was your contractor, he will have to correct his own mistake. The mover's are not going to pay for the increased cost due to his mistake.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 2 2023, 04:26

This should have been handled between tenant and moving company. You hired the contractor, so I think it's your responsibility to get the contractor to correct it and hope the moving company accepts the second bill. The contractor should correct his work at no charge.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Malachi P.
Votes |
Replied Mar 2 2023, 09:03
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

This should have been handled between tenant and moving company. You hired the contractor, so I think it's your responsibility to get the contractor to correct it and hope the moving company accepts the second bill. The contractor should correct his work at no charge.

In this scenario what would happen when they just install some random parts that don’t match, or use the cheapest materials/contractor they can find and it isn’t repaired up to my standards as the property owner? 

Would I take it out of the tenant’s deposit to fix it correctly?

User Stats

Votes
Eric Goldman
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Mar 2 2023, 09:36

getting anything from the moving companies insurance will be tough. more than likely they will pay you directly then use it. who hired the contractor? 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 3 2023, 03:59
Quote from @Malachi P.:

Why would you charge the Tenant? You hired the contractor, so it is your responsibility to communicate with the contractor and have the problem fixed correctly. Don't pay them until it's done properly. If they refuse, don't pay them and hire a different contractor to correct it, then pay them. Once the work is completed properly, pass the bill on to the Tenant and they can pay it or pass it on to the movers.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Mar 3 2023, 04:03

I agree with the others.  The installer messed up, they should fix their mistake for free.  The original bill for the repair goes to the tenants to deal with (ie they get the money from the movers).

User Stats

Votes
Malachi P.
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2023, 19:59
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Sorry, that's not what I mean. I meant in the scenario of the tenant and moving company handling the entire repair. If I had let them do that, what would happen if they "fix it" but not to my standards. Would I then take from the tenant's deposit to have it fixed properly at the end of the lease?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 8 2023, 05:15
Quote from @Malachi P.:
Q

Yes. If the Tenant, their guest, or invitee (this would include contractors) damages the home, the tenant is responsible for it. If tenant hires a contractor to repair and it's done wrong, tenant is still responsible and can still be charged.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied May 5 2023, 05:09

for your hypothetical, as a practical matter if the work was done in a "workmanlike manner" with nothing obviously wrong you wouldn't have much to stand on in court should it ever get there. Your standards aren't necessarily "the standard".