User Stats

Votes
DeAndre Mason
Votes |
Beginner Landlord Requirements

DeAndre Mason
Posted Mar 1 2023, 15:17

Hello BP,

I am potentially closing on a 4-unit multifamily property that I will owner-occupy. The property is located in West Virginia and I was wondering what I need to have in place to legally rent out the other 3 units. I am going to hire a property manager in order to learn how to set up systems much more quickly. Are there any licenses or certifications I need? What safety requirements do I need to provide to the city or state in order for me to have all my "i's dotted and t's crossed".

User Stats

Votes
Eric Greenberg
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 1 2023, 16:05

If you are already interviewing local PM companies they should be able to provide you a list of everything needed on your end.  

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Mar 1 2023, 16:59

@DeAndre Mason in my area (Wa) one county requires a business license and an inspection. The other two counties where I have rentals require nothing. You need to know LL-Tenant laws, how to market properties and how to screen tenants. You can enroll in PM classes offered by local REI and apartment owners associations. Google for those. Hire a PM until you are ready. Get local laws from Nolo and take some classes. BP is outstanding as well.All the best.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 1 2023, 18:23

@DeAndre Mason

Your city website should have an ordinance - It should read "tenant and landlord ordinance"

This will help you with all requirements if ever in doubt youtube it or try to search for a podcast of local realtors and you will find some good data . Wish you the best!!

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Mar 1 2023, 19:49

Aloha,

There is just so much more to learn about dotting your i's and crossing your t's than local LL/Tenant laws, although that is a good place to start. Fair Housing; Fair Credit Reporting Act; applicable EPA regulations; Privacy laws; IRS reporting regulations AND what constitutes an "employee"; if you will have employees, OSHA laws will become very important; contract law basics; Life Safety code; local building codes and permitting requirements; local Real Estate Licensing laws (at least basics, which may limit what you are able to do); and probably others that do not come to mind right now.

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Gill
  • Homeowner
  • Vienna, WV
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Vienna, WV
Replied Mar 2 2023, 03:32

Here in Parkersburg we just needed to have the city inspector inspect the building to make sure it’s up to code and the fire marshal inspect. Then they will give you your certificate of occupancy. Pay your b&o taxes on your rentals. 
There's not many REI groups in WV, but I've seen one for Charleston, I've seen them post before.
Could you let me know what kind of rates you’re getting for your property management? I’d like to know. I’ve heard 30% from someone who does taxes for someone that uses one. Thought that was very high.
Good luck and congrats!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Mar 2 2023, 10:19

Your PMC should be able to answer all those questions for you.

User Stats

Votes
DeAndre Mason
Votes |
Replied Apr 20 2023, 15:16
Quote from @Amanda Gill:

Here in Parkersburg we just needed to have the city inspector inspect the building to make sure it’s up to code and the fire marshal inspect. Then they will give you your certificate of occupancy. Pay your b&o taxes on your rentals. 
There's not many REI groups in WV, but I've seen one for Charleston, I've seen them post before.
Could you let me know what kind of rates you’re getting for your property management? I’d like to know. I’ve heard 30% from someone who does taxes for someone that uses one. Thought that was very high.
Good luck and congrats!

10% mgmt fee. 30% is highway robbery. What is the REI group in Charleston called. Where can i find it? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Ethan Cole
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bridgeport, WV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bridgeport, WV
Replied Jul 12 2023, 04:30
Quote from @Amanda Gill:

Good luck and congrats!

Clarksburg is very similar. Code enforcement wants to come out and inspect before you rent it out, and if the property is 4 units or more, the fire marshal also needs to come out (fire code). If you choose to start a business entity for liability purposes, make sure whether or not your town requires you to pay B&O tax. We learned a lot through self managing, although my wife had previous property management experience from a prior job. 

Also, I'm not sure where you're located, but there is also a REI group that has recently been meeting in Morgantown once a month.

User Stats

Votes
Seth Timmerman
  • Investor
  • Morgantown WV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Morgantown WV
Replied Jul 12 2023, 05:32

The Charleston group is Central WV Real Estate Investing Group on Facebook and the Morgantown group is Mountaineer REIA on Facebook. Charleston is the 2nd Tuesday of the month and Morgantown is the 4th Thursday. (July date is actually 7/26). I help out with both groups if you're interested let me know.