Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Amani Clarke
Pro Member
Votes |
Advice on buying a Rent Stabilized multifamily in Brooklyn?

Amani Clarke
Pro Member
Posted Mar 9 2023, 17:35

Hey guys, I've been looking at this property in Brooklyn. It's 7 units, 4 of them are vacant and 3 of them are occupied but it's rent-stabilized. One of the units is occupied by a senior citizen so I already know there's nothing I can do with that one. Still, I wanted to know if it's even possible to destabilize the other units and are the vacant units automatically destabilized since they're vacant? The building as a whole needs work also so I'm just trying to figure out if there are any restrictions that'll prevent me from doing rehabs on those vacant units while the other ones are still occupied. This will be my first investment property and I know NY is not an investor-friendly state but the cash flow with this deal makes it worth it to take it down.  Also, I'm getting into this as a creative finance deal. Any advice.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 9 2023, 21:00
You need to perform extreme due diligence before investing in Rent Stabilized properties in Brooklyn, NY ( NYC & NYS). Vacant units are not automatically destabilized if they were rent stabilized before they became vacant. In fact, there is currently no provision since the enactment of 2019 Rent Law that allows vacant apartments to be come destabilized in NYS. Your best hope is that the four vacant apartments are Market Rate apartments, which I doubt. You can contact HCR (DHCR), the NYS agency that regulates Rent Stabilized and Rent Control apartments in NYS and ask them for a report showing the status of each rent stabilized apartment in the building. In addition, you need to know the current Legal Rents in the records of HCR (DHCR) for each apartment as they will be rents that you will most likely be stuck with and you will not have the ability to increase rents to cover Rehab or your investment.

User Stats

Votes
Tim J.
  • Investor
  • Vermont and New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vermont and New York
Replied Mar 9 2023, 21:23

Without hearing the details its hard to make a specific recommendations, but frankly, being under rent control, that's a 'pass' for me. 

There is a reason the units are vacant - most likely because the current owner knows he/she will not get the rents to cover the costs of making them habitable. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 13 2023, 13:28

Hey @Amani Clarke - since you mentioned it's a creative finance deal, I'm guessing that's why you're able to overlook all the other nuances of destabilizing a rent controlled building. I have yet to come across a deal as an investor or broker where people were jumping at the chance to purchase a rent stabilized building. 

That being said, you can follow through with the steps NYC has in place to destabilize an apartment building but as far as I'm aware, a large portion of all the units need to already be vacant. 

Here's a helpful article: https://rew-online.com/how-to-...

User Stats

Votes
Xin-Ran Jiang
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Mar 19 2024, 12:42

Hi Amani, it been a year now, I am coming into a same condition with you. I’m investigating in a 6 units building in BK, it’s half vacant recently and the rest empty. I’m considering purchasing it and do some renovations to destabilize those empty units. How was your deal going, did you get that building?