• Rental Property Investor
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
Fence Replacement Advice

Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Posted Mar 21 2023, 13:57

The fence surrounding my rental property in Oklahoma needs replacing.  Here in California, it's not unreasonable to ask neighbors to share in the cost of replacing a fence bordering two properties.  Is it reasonable to ask my neighbors to split the cost?  If so, what's the best way to do it?  Also, what is the going rate for fences per linear square feet? 

User Stats

Votes
Rhett Tullis
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Mar 21 2023, 15:55

This post kinda covers it for okc on what is shared.  https://www.findlaw.com/state/...

Only exception is if your HOA has a specific rule on who owns it otherwise the city code would dictate. Good luck on getting the neighbor to split it, that is always a tough one here. We do get lucky from time to time.

Rates vary alot on price but I have seen from around $20 per linear foot on up.

User Stats

Votes
Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied Mar 21 2023, 16:12

Thank you @Rhett Tullis.  Who are your go to fence contractors or handy people that are most reasonably priced, do the best job, and use materials that last the longest?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 21 2023, 17:01

The fence is shared. The expense should be shared as well.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Mar 21 2023, 17:38

Talk to your neighbours and ask if they will split the cost based on how much of the fence is shared (eg 60 ft on each side neighbour and 50 ft for the back neighbour).  They should split it, but may not.  I had my neighbour ask about it a few years back and I said I'd split the cost with them for my portion and they said the other neighbours weren't going to do the same.

User Stats

Votes
Rhett Tullis
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Mar 21 2023, 21:06

@Oren Pfeffermann we have a guy we use alot but he is swamped.  used to us SSS fence in bethany they were priced about like most and do good work.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 21 2023, 21:10

SSS did a fence for me last week.  Good work - highly recommend.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 22 2023, 04:01
Quote from @Oren Pfeffermann:

The fence surrounding my rental property in Oklahoma needs replacing.  Here in California, it's not unreasonable to ask neighbors to share in the cost of replacing a fence bordering two properties.  Is it reasonable to ask my neighbors to split the cost?  If so, what's the best way to do it?  Also, what is the going rate for fences per linear square feet? 

It's a reasonable request in every state, but that doesn't mean they'll play along. Try talking to them and negotiating something, but be prepared that you may have to foot the bill yourself if they refuse to be good neighbors.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Mar 22 2023, 05:19

@Oren Pfeffermann I've found a few fence folks that are solid and ironically the bigger the company the better the price and service.

To the point of sharing the fence:  it's definitely worth asking.  It is technically a party-wall easement and this will exist by default on shared boundaries, unless something breaks that.  Sometimes you'll see folks have a neighbor who refuses to replace a fence so one neighbor will pay for the whole thing.  I suppose once this is documented correctly this would create a fence that is either practically or legally no longer a shared expense.

Even then, though, you can always ask :) 

User Stats

Votes
Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:46
Quote from @Rhett Tullis:

This post kinda covers it for okc on what is shared.  https://www.findlaw.com/state/...

Only exception is if your HOA has a specific rule on who owns it otherwise the city code would dictate. Good luck on getting the neighbor to split it, that is always a tough one here. We do get lucky from time to time.

Rates vary alot on price but I have seen from around $20 per linear foot on up.

Thank you, @Rhett Tullis.  Finally went with a smaller company  owned by a guy named Jacob Miller.  He will use 9' steel poles and Western Red Cedar boards.  Jacob was as reasonable as the other companies and is endorsed by our property manager who we really trust.

User Stats

Votes
Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:50
Quote from @Will Fraser:

@Oren Pfeffermann I've found a few fence folks that are solid and ironically the bigger the company the better the price and service.

To the point of sharing the fence:  it's definitely worth asking.  It is technically a party-wall easement and this will exist by default on shared boundaries, unless something breaks that.  Sometimes you'll see folks have a neighbor who refuses to replace a fence so one neighbor will pay for the whole thing.  I suppose once this is documented correctly this would create a fence that is either practically or legally no longer a shared expense.

Thank you Will.  We asked, and the neighbor did not want to pay.  I was told by one of the fence company owners that Oklahoma law requires that neighbors split the cost of a fence, but I can't confirm or deny that.  The laws that I read seem a bit ambiguous. Appreciate your response!

User Stats

Votes
Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:52
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

It's a reasonable request in every state, but that doesn't mean they'll play along. Try talking to them and negotiating something, but be prepared that you may have to foot the bill yourself if they refuse to be good neighbors.

Thanks, @Nathan Gesner.   Talked to the neighbor.  He won't budge.  Turns out the cost isn't going to be as much as we thought, and we want to keep our tenants happy.  Wish lumber costs weren't so high!

User Stats

Votes
Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:55
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Talk to your neighbours and ask if they will split the cost based on how much of the fence is shared (eg 60 ft on each side neighbour and 50 ft for the back neighbour).  They should split it, but may not.  I had my neighbour ask about it a few years back and I said I'd split the cost with them for my portion and they said the other neighbours weren't going to do the same.

Thank you @Theresa Harris.  It's great to have fair neighbors like you, but it doesn't always work out.  Our existing fence is a privacy fence, and our neighbor has a point in not wanting to split the cost because according to him, he has gone through 4 fences.  We want to do right by our tenants, so we'll put in the new fence.  Appreciate your response!

User Stats

Votes
Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:56
Quote from @Ellen Bonner:

SSS did a fence for me last week.  Good work - highly recommend.

Thanks for the recommendation, @Ellen Bonner!

User Stats

Votes
Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:56
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

The fence is shared. The expense should be shared as well.

Totally agree, @Eliott Elias!

User Stats

Votes
Rhett Tullis
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:58

@Oren Pfeffermann make sure and read that link i sent above it is spot on for oklahoma law,  not required to split but then they have no say in it and if they fuss when you remove they are on the hot seat.

User Stats

Votes
Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 14:30

Perfect!  Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Mar 24 2023, 05:32
Quote from @Will Fraser:

Thank you Will.  We asked, and the neighbor did not want to pay.  I was told by one of the fence company owners that Oklahoma law requires that neighbors split the cost of a fence, but I can't confirm or deny that.  The laws that I read seem a bit ambiguous. Appreciate your response!

Imagine that!  A fence company getting well versed in the law?  Well, just that one tiny Party Wall paragraph, ha!

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Mar 24 2023, 05:36

To date I have only two times met a neighbor of a rental property who wanted to split the fence costs.  

If it is a home-owner on the other side that shows high pride of ownership, it's pretty likely they'll care and helps if you make it a win for them (do you want the pretty side facing your home, or the secure side?  Do you want cedar or whitewood?  You won't have to do ANY work because I'll take care of it all, and other stuff like this)

If it is a LL or a low pride-of-ownership owner on the other side of the party wall then your SOL and you could either eat the costs and replace it yourself and document the heck out of it, OR you could have a new fence installed on your side of the yard to hide the decaying fence.  Kinda like flipping the neighbor the bird, but it gets the job done and smells a bit less like the welfare state than just eating the costs for a neighbor who doesn't want to contribute to solving a shared problem IMO.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 24 2023, 07:16

my neighbor asking me to share the fence cost via ..................whatsapp  lol I guess they found me a number on the internet.

User Stats

Votes
Oren Pfeffermann
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Replied Mar 24 2023, 10:12
Quote from @Will Fraser:

To date I have only two times met a neighbor of a rental property who wanted to split the fence costs.  

If it is a home-owner on the other side that shows high pride of ownership, it's pretty likely they'll care and helps if you make it a win for them (do you want the pretty side facing your home, or the secure side?  Do you want cedar or whitewood?  You won't have to do ANY work because I'll take care of it all, and other stuff like this)

If it is a LL or a low pride-of-ownership owner on the other side of the party wall then your SOL and you could either eat the costs and replace it yourself and document the heck out of it, OR you could have a new fence installed on your side of the yard to hide the decaying fence.  Kinda like flipping the neighbor the bird, but it gets the job done and smells a bit less like the welfare state than just eating the costs for a neighbor who doesn't want to contribute to solving a shared problem IMO.

Thank you, Will.  I appreciate all of your input!

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Mar 27 2023, 05:19
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

my neighbor asking me to share the fence cost via ..................whatsapp  lol I guess they found me a number on the internet.

Bahahah!  did it also include a Zelle link to a person you have never heard of?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 27 2023, 05:47
Quote from @Will Fraser:
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

Bahahah!  did it also include a Zelle link to a person you have never heard of?

yes, believe it or not, I pay him with zelle.
yes and I never met the guy :-)

how do I know if he's the owner ? his name is on the deed, lol :-)