General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie G.
Votes |
Keeping security deposit

Stephanie G.
Posted Mar 24 2023, 10:24

I moved from our rental in Feb. i rented for 7 years.   I paid a $1400 deposit along with a $500 refundable pet deposit.   
Before leaving, I notified my landlord in writing that there was a door sticking, slow leaking faucet and a garage door issue.   She never came or acknowledged this letter.   I thoroughly cleaned the unit and took many pictures. 

She is now sending me a bill that she is keeping my $1400 deposit due to a thermostat issue, door knob replacement and window damage.  And, now all of a sudden, she is keeping my pet deposit stating it is now non-refundable with absolutely no pet damage.  

The window is from water damage as the window takes on water and I called her during a rain storm to let her know.  They never came to see the windows.  She is billing me an additional $1400 for repairs.   And some of the billing is not for anything she is accusing me of.  She is also not counting the $500 refundable pet deposit.  She’s giving me 2 weeks to pay or suing me!

I don’t know what to do but feel most of these things I didn’t do and have pictures to prove I left the place in excellent condition.  

Would love any advice.  

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 24 2023, 10:56

Document everything. Send her notice with pictures by Certified Mail disputing everything and demanding a return of both deposits. FYI, generally a pet deposit can only be used for pet damages. Give her 10 days to return the money or notify her that you will be taking legal action and seeking the original deposits plus an additional 2X as per Chicago law..

If she sues you, file a countersuit. These will be heard at the same time. If she doesn't sue and just keeps the money, file against her in small claims court for the original deposit plus 2X that.

User Stats

Votes
Rosa Regier
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 24 2023, 10:59

Do an online search for a tenant's rights council/advocacy group in your city who can take a closer look at your situation. Tenant/Landlord laws & ordinances differ by state with potentially additional rules by each city.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 24 2023, 14:02
Quote from @Stephanie G.:

I moved from our rental in Feb. i rented for 7 years.   I paid a $1400 deposit along with a $500 refundable pet deposit.   
Before leaving, I notified my landlord in writing that there was a door sticking, slow leaking faucet and a garage door issue.   She never came or acknowledged this letter.   I thoroughly cleaned the unit and took many pictures. 

She is now sending me a bill that she is keeping my $1400 deposit due to a thermostat issue, door knob replacement and window damage.  And, now all of a sudden, she is keeping my pet deposit stating it is now non-refundable with absolutely no pet damage.  

The window is from water damage as the window takes on water and I called her during a rain storm to let her know.  They never came to see the windows.  She is billing me an additional $1400 for repairs.   And some of the billing is not for anything she is accusing me of.  She is also not counting the $500 refundable pet deposit.  She’s giving me 2 weeks to pay or suing me!

I don’t know what to do but feel most of these things I didn’t do and have pictures to prove I left the place in excellent condition.  

Would love any advice.  

I agree with Rosa, check what the local rules are regarding normal wear and tear deductions.  I found this article that may help:
https://ipropertymanagement.co...

Good luck!  

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Mar 24 2023, 19:37
Aloha,

Hopefully you also have copies of the letters/emails you sent notifying of the issues, or better yet, you sent them "Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested", in which case you will have their signature proving receipt. Do you also have your original Rental Agreement with the "refundable" pet deposit clause?

Unfortunately, most tenants never take things seriously and rely on phone calls and text messaging rather than documenting actual "evidence" to protect themselves with, "in case". There are far too many slumlords that only care about the almighty dollar and throw ethics out the window. To be fair, it might also be that these type of issues were covered in the Agreement you signed, but perhaps did not read/comprehend at the time, and you actually could be responsible. Based solely on your descriptions, NO tenant of mine would be charged for those issues.

Odds are, you will need to file a suit in small claims court, which is typically very inexpensive (under $50), and you are NOT required to have an attorney. Depending on local law, the LL might be represented by an attorney, or not, but either way the proceedings are much more informal and essentially you each make your statement and provide your evidence to the Judge, and the Judge may ask questions or give instructions. Sometimes you are referred to "mediation" where the LL and you sit down with a third party to try to negotiate an acceptable resolution. If unable to, you go back before the Judge, who WILL settle it.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Mar 24 2023, 19:54

Document everything and send her a copy of the lease which stated that the pet deposit was refundable.  Tell her you will see her in court.  Stick to the facts, do not let it get personal and document everything.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 25 2023, 05:18

I agree with the others. 

Many private Landlords are unscrupulous. They will keep the entire deposit for fake reasons, knowing that most renters will never push back or take them to court.

If you have documentation of the condition, this is worth pushing back. If it ends up in court and you win, you may be awarded 3x the amount. But the truth is, the owner doesn't want to end up in court so they will typically negotiate a return of at least a portion of the deposit.

Here's a summary of Chicago law: https://bc-firm.com/chicago-se...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mark Ainley
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb)
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
Replied Mar 26 2023, 12:55

@Stephanie G. couple questions assuming you rented inside the city of Chicago:

1. did that letter get to you before day 30 after your lease that included proof those funds held were used with receipts?

2. Over the 7 years do you know what bank the deposit was held at because it was stated in the first page of your lease?

3. Each year by day 30 of anniversary of your move in date did you receive interest for your deposit?

If any of these three items are not true 100% you have leverage to have a conversation to her about how this will go down next.  

GC Realty & Development LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie G.
Votes |
Replied Mar 27 2023, 05:19

@Mark Ainley.  Unfortunately, we are in a suburb. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Ainley
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
Replied Mar 27 2023, 07:11

Cool County or DuPage?

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie G.
Votes |
Replied Mar 27 2023, 15:03

@Mark Ainley.  Unfortunately no.  I’m close to Cook but not in Cook.  Or Dupage.  

User Stats

Votes
Mark Ainley
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
Replied Mar 27 2023, 15:08

@Stephanie G. I will send you a DM

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 27 2023, 15:11

Would love any advice.  

Sue her 1st!!! The 1st one to file " wins" . and the other person is now on the defense. You were a 7 year tenant and she is busting your chops, she is a total POS . 

Good luck 

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Mar 28 2023, 15:24

Unfortunately a lot of LL will try and make the tenants pay for normal maintenance stuff. Deposits are supposed to be used for repairs the tenant created.... not just happened when they were living there. Unless you created the leaking window or failed to notify the LL and that delay resulted in even more damage, then those costs are not on you. 

If you lease states the pet deposit is refundable, then she cant change that on a whim.

A lot of LL will also just keep the deposit and see what the tenant does.... do they just cave... or do they fight. They add on with threats of suing you for even more $$ with the hopes you think its best to let it go and "cut your losses".

If what you stated is true.... and have the documentation to back it up, I'd tell her to pound sand and "I'll see you in court".....

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 1 2023, 13:27

@Stephanie G. I have something that would be perfect for you. If you don't know all the ins and outs of self-managing.

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie G.
Votes |
Replied Apr 1 2023, 15:38

@Charles Sotelo. Yes, please explain. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Apr 3 2023, 06:39

Hey @Stephanie G. - Sorry to hear about these unfortunate circumstances.  Sounds like you are in a pickle, but you connect with the right person, @Mark Ainley won't steer you wrong.

If you were in Chicago - cook county I think you'd have more leverage.  Sounds like you are a good person and doing things the right way, so that will definitely come back around whether now or later.

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie G.
Votes |
Replied Apr 3 2023, 07:03

@Jonathan Klemm.  Thank you Jonathan!  We believe that, also.  And yes, @Mark Ainley gave solid advice.  So appreciate of everyone here that reached out with advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Marci Stein
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Sep 26 2023, 13:20

What does the lease say regarding pet deposit? Does it specify it is non-refundable?

If not, I think you can expect it back if there’s no pet damage . that’s what a security deposit means