Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Farish
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Votes |
Tenant caused grease fire in basement apartment

Brandon Farish
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Posted Mar 28 2023, 14:46

We have a mother in law apartment in the home we currently live in.  The tenants that are there have been there for 2 years.  Their second year is up in June.  They have been great tenants with no issues.  However, they just had a major accident while melting a candle in a pan on the stove.  The tenant claimed she was melting it, left it unattended and it started a fire.  She tried to put it out in the sink which only made it worse.  There is no fire damage to the kitchen but there is significant smoke damage to the walls, cabinets and ceiling.  She has admitted that this is her fault and that the responsibility is on them for repair costs.  Also, we are squared away with a good lease and they have renters insurance with liability.

We have had several bids for cleaning and painting cabinets.  Just waiting for bids for ceiling and walls.  My question is how do we proceed with the billing.  It's looking like it will cost more than 5k but less than 10k.  Do we pay the bills ourselves then bill the tenants.  Just bill the tenants and they or their insurance pays?  I'm assuming if we use our homeowners insurance our premiums will increase which we'd like to avoid if possible.  We are just looking for a little guidance as this is our first major issue and we want to do it the right way.   Also we are in Utah.

Thanks,

Brandon

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 29 2023, 06:24
Quote from @Brandon Farish:

Your only involvement should be to follow through that it's been handled. The Tenants are at fault, so they should file a claim with their renters insurance. You do not need to notify your carrier at all. Let the tenants file their claim and make them responsible for payment to the vendors. You monitor to ensure it's completed to your satisfaction. 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo