Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Ian Dyer
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
LVP flooring recommendation for lots of rental properties?

Ian Dyer
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Orange County, CA
Posted May 2 2023, 23:04

We'd like to find one LVP product and color that will be available for hopefully 5 to 10+ years. Any suggestions?

I’m hoping to hear from people who own or manage a lot of rentals, 50 or 100 or more.

We manage 150+ units and we want to use the SAME LVP flooring in all. The problem is that flooring manufacturers change what they offer, every few years. We'd rather use the same product and color for many years, so that, on move-outs, if a small area or one room needs replaced, it matches.

I know that flooring manufacturers are always changing their products, because that's best for sales. But I also know there's a huge market of landlords who would love to have access to a good product that doesn't change in color or type over time.

We’ve been paying $1.29/sf. Home Depot Allure is $2.09/sf and I’ve read some recommendations for the Allure on BiggerPockets.

User Stats

Votes
Lucas Miles
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairmont, MN
Votes |
  • Fairmont, MN
Replied May 8 2023, 17:58

@Ian Dyer Reach out a couple larger property management companies in your area, and ask who they use for flooring. This is how we found the largest commercial supplier of flooring in our area who gets the best product for better pricing as their volume is higher.  

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied May 8 2023, 20:42

Aloha,

The reality is, if you are wanting "exact" match, dye lots change all the time, so the odds of perfect match 5 - 10 years from now is not likely, unless you can by a container load or two today. As you said, the company will change color and patterns to "keep up with the current style", which will also result in a variety of changes. If your units are in one or two complexes, you can easily salvage from units in need of complete updating, reusing as much as possible.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Fernan Nava
  • Barstow, CA
Votes |
  • Barstow, CA
Replied May 13 2023, 22:14

Flooring trends are always changing and manufacturers are too. Carpet is the most enduring, manufactures like shaw and mohawk still have carpet styles from 15 years ago. At $1.20 per s/f you got yourself a great deal especially if is the rigid lvt with attached pad. I buy promotional flooring directly from mohawk, including lvt if any of you need a great deal, I pass my price onto you.