Votes
Lawrence Rutkowski
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Negotiating with Section 8 Providers.

Lawrence Rutkowski
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Jun 5 2023, 15:12

I've got a SAHA tenant here in San Antonio, and am wondering if you can challenge a low Fair Market Rent assessment. I felt I was slightly lowballed last fall, and have a renewal coming up end of this summer/early fall. Tenant is fine, but rent comparables have gone a solid $150-$225/month over this time period. Per SAHA's FMR map, they'll pay UP to $2086/month in this zip, and the 5% rent cap is over, so that's not the problem. I'm assuming they're running comps and picking the lowest of them, when this property is somewhere in the top of the middle. I'd like to be able to counter if I get lowballed again. With my property taxes and insurance going through the roof, every dollar matters!

User Stats

Votes
Malcomb Stapel
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Replied Jun 5 2023, 16:36

@Lawrence Rutkowski  absolutely worth a shot. I have a friend who does it with his and they routinely bump the rents to match the comps he provides them. 

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Jun 5 2023, 17:27

Absolutely, and using your taxes going up is a fair basis point. Don't be afraid to ask for what rightfully should be paid. Something egregious sure but fair, not at all.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Lawrence Rutkowski
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jun 5 2023, 17:52
Quote from @Malcomb Stapel:

@Lawrence Rutkowski  absolutely worth a shot. I have a friend who does it with his and they routinely bump the rents to match the comps he provides them. 

Good to know! I was wondering if there was even a point, given the level of bureuacracy involved with SAHA. Getting answers on anything not completely boilerplate is tough.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 8 2023, 19:35
Negotiate the fair market value for your property.  You want to be able to continue paying for the property and keep it in above average condition.  Doing that commands the premium.