• Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle
Votes |
DO NOT INVEST IN CHICAGO

Listiarso Wastuargo
  • Seattle
Posted Jun 5 2023, 23:00

The numbers look amazing on paper. Heck, I've even done 3 successful BRRRs there

But the fact that the city and the state it's so anti-landlord is very frustrating.

I have a property in the middle of BRRRR that I've finished remodeling. Bought it for $105k, do rehab and repairs worth of around $50k. I expect that it would be worth around $200k and can do full BRRRR. Then when I wanted to rent it out, suddenly an armed squatter take possession of the property. It's been 8 months since then. The police, sheriff, and what not can't help. I can't turn off the utilities for whatever reason.

And I keep piling property tax bills, and violations from the city for whatever reason, and the property was just laying there with squatter that I can't evict

Anyway, now I have this property at 5144 S Princeton, close to Washington Park, where I need someone to help remove the squatter, or even buy it for cash. I am willing to take a loss after all the repairs and remodels I did to the house.

I am just so done with Chicago

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jun 6 2023, 03:39

@Listiarso Wastuargo this sounds like such a terrible situation. The city is tenant friendly, but I firmly believe this squatter thing is something we as property owners can fight. This is not really the intention of even the most bleeding heart politicians in this area. 

Have you connected with any other investors who know the game on the south side? I would check in with @Mark Ainley who knows a lot of the tricks from his decades on the south side. Investing on Chicago's south side definitely requires a different skill set than on the north side. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 6 2023, 03:47

@Listiarso Wastuargo

I have heard it termed crook county.

This is very unfortunate and sorry you have to go through this, worst thing is there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 6 2023, 05:27
Quote from @Listiarso Wastuargo:

There are certain markets that look good on paper, but a Landlord can lose tens of thousands easily with one bad tenant. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles and hope you find a solution. I don't know of any legal remedies, and I won't bother mentioning the illegal ones.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Listiarso Wastuargo
  • Seattle
Votes |
  • Seattle
Replied Jun 6 2023, 05:36

Thank you so much for the kind word folks.

And yes! Any leads would be highly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Bob Floss II
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Northbrook, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Northbrook, IL
Replied Jun 7 2023, 09:34

@Listiarso Wastuargo Not all of Chicago. That area can be rough for rehabbing properties. Any property left unattended will be stripped clean or attract a squatter. When I close on flips, the seller will wait until the day of closing to have the new air conditioning unit installed and have buyer move in the next day or it will be gone.

FYI, turning off the utilities does not deter squatters. You just end up with some pretty nasty looking bathrooms. 

User Stats

Votes
Eudith Vacio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Replied Jun 8 2023, 11:47

Hey @Listiarso Wastuargo - ugh, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Definitely not something that we can predict, and certain areas are more prone to this type of activity. I hope you can find someone to buy it from you, may be list in on the BiggerPockets marketplace? I trust you will figure it out!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jun 9 2023, 07:44

Hey @Listiarso Wastuargo - Your story isn't super uncommon.  I understand your frustration.  It sounds like you have got the worst of Chicago.  It's completely silly how the system is set up for squatters.

I personally love Chicago regardless of the troubles, but that's mainly due to being here locally and having an awesome team.  If there is any way we can help please let me know.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Konney
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Forest Park, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Forest Park, IL
Replied Jun 14 2023, 09:37

Hi @Listiarso Wastuargo - It sounds like you need a competent attorney who specializes in evictions and has good repour with the county legal system. Here's a few things you can do to mitigate this from happening: 

Hire a house sitter (~100 per week)
Ring alarm monitoring system (~20 per month, no internet required)
Plant some flowers in the front (imply occupancy)
Install dummy or real security cameras (some area even cellular based for live capture)
Drill the exterior doors shut 

As far as theft/vandalism goes, make sure you are insured correctly with a builder's risk policy that covers it. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.181850)

Top Care Realty LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jun 14 2023, 09:45
Quote from @Listiarso Wastuargo:

The numbers look amazing on paper. Heck, I've even done 3 successful BRRRs there

But the fact that the city and the state it's so anti-landlord is very frustrating.

I have a property in the middle of BRRRR that I've finished remodeling. Bought it for $105k, do rehab and repairs worth of around $50k. I expect that it would be worth around $200k and can do full BRRRR. Then when I wanted to rent it out, suddenly an armed squatter take possession of the property. It's been 8 months since then. The police, sheriff, and what not can't help. I can't turn off the utilities for whatever reason.

And I keep piling property tax bills, and violations from the city for whatever reason, and the property was just laying there with squatter that I can't evict

Anyway, now I have this property at 5144 S Princeton, close to Washington Park, where I need someone to help remove the squatter, or even buy it for cash. I am willing to take a loss after all the repairs and remodels I did to the house.

I am just so done with Chicago

I have delt with squatters in my market many times, typically their gone in a day or two. Its all about your team 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 14 2023, 09:50

There might be easier fish to fry then cook county, but I have always found the people of Chicago friendly, easy to do business with and desirous of profits--too bad it is not situated right next to Austin--what an even bigger powerhouse it would be if it were in Texas.

'

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jun 15 2023, 04:52

@Listiarso Wastuargo did you get the squatter out? Did you make any connections that helped you out yet? Let us know how things are going. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nephtalie Pierre
  • Portsmouth, NH
Votes |
  • Portsmouth, NH
Replied Jun 15 2023, 05:03

Why aren't you able to evict the squatter?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.