General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Sandy G.
Votes |
Prospective tenants say the darndest things

Sandy G.
Posted Mar 12 2024, 13:50

Received a text from a potential tenant today.  I can’t stand all the back and forth texting and besides I prefer a phone call so I can ask my screening questions so I responded by saying “good afternoon, please give me a call so I may answer any questions you may have.”  Their response:  “What questions?”  
Seriously??  Geez was my text that confusing?  I just don’t have the patience like I used to.  Next… 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Mar 12 2024, 16:19

@Sandy G., I think the post should have been titled "LANDLORDS say the darnest things"! lol

I could almost hear you say "call me on my LANDLINE". lol... BTW, you just said "next" to a nice young engineer who just got a new higher paying job and is an A+ type applicant. 

Seriously though, you're going to be dealing with different generations of people who have different styles and methods of communication. That is no more their failing then your own preferences are yours.

I don't want to message back and forth with potential tenants and I also don't want to talk to them on the phone either! So, I try to avoid BOTH until they submit an application.

I do open house showings only. NO PRE-SCREENING! So, that limits up front communication except cut and paste responses about when the next open house is scheduled. After they apply I will communicate with them more as needed but that is a MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller number of people at that point.

User Stats

Votes
Ecaterina Katerina Morosan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Replied Mar 13 2024, 08:05

With potential clients whether sellers/buyers/tenants/landlords, I prefer having a phone or in-person convo as well. Be aware, there are a lot of scammers inquiring about listings and submitting fake docs. We receive 2-3 scam requests with fake POFs and PALs per week. So yes, have a conversation and trust your gut feeling. 

I agree on having OH by appointment only for safety purposes. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes